Tuned Listener
smartact
Message 1 of 9 (1,258 Views)

Is it possible to achieve my reporting requirements using ACT! (out-of-the-box)?

Hi All,

I'm fairly new to ACT! (and having self-learned the software in an unbelievably short period of time - which I'm sure is the case with most people here) I'm having difficulty trying to figure out whether or not ACT! (straight-out-of-the box i.e. without the use of any Add-On products) ) can provide me the the required functionality to produce a report similar to the one shown below, and also available at this link: Click here for image.

If it is indeed possible to achieve an output similar to my requirements then I'd like to know (preferable step-by-step) how I'd go about doing it i.e. could it be done using just the "Contact" records, or would I need to use Group and/or sub-groups. Als, within the provided sub-entities/tabs would I have to use the "Activities" tab and/or the "Opportunity" tab?

Appreciate any and all help and guidance in this regard.

Thanks,

Cyril

Please use plain text.
Bronze Super Contributor
mscott821
Message 2 of 9 (1,226 Views)

Re: Is it possible to achieve my reporting requirements using ACT! (out-of-the-box)?

Cyril -

Your best bet is to reach out to a local Act! Certified Consultant...

Please use plain text.
Platinum Elite Contributor
Roy_Laudenslage
Message 3 of 9 (1,216 Views)

Re: Is it possible to achieve my reporting requirements using ACT! (out-of-the-box)?

Without having a copy of the database to determine where the various fields are located, I can't say for sure. It's possible that with a database design with the reports wanted it would be possible. Looking at what you show as an example, it appears that it would take a main report with two subreports. While two or more subreports aren't a problem, the main problem with your sample is that it appears that the second subreport would be a subreport to the first subreport. In other words something like this:

Main Report

subreport1

subreport2

That can't be can't be done with the native ACT! reports.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Tech Benders
royel@techbenders.com
Please use plain text.
Tuned Listener
smartact
Message 4 of 9 (1,210 Views)

Thanks Roy,

You're correct with the hierarchy you stated...and I too figured that it wouldn't be possible in ACT! "as-is". Having said that, do you know which add-on would best suit such an application?

With regards to the point you raised about "having a copy of the  database to determin where the various fields are located...." I have to say that I haven't yet created the fields/screens - for the simple reason that I do not know where they best belong...or in other words, how I could capture the information such that it would faciliate creation of the report. You could say that I'm thinking like Steven Covey: "begin with the end in mind".

In order to avoid the added expense of purchasing an add-on product I could also do it (externally) using MS Access (which I already own), but I'm still back to the same problem of: how do I capture the data so that it allows the hierarchial reporting that's required?

Thanks,

Cyril

-------------------------------------------------

http://www.SynergyIntegration.com

-------------------------------------------------

Please use plain text.
Silver Contributor
jonmklub
Message 5 of 9 (1,201 Views)

From the initial look, I would be in favor of creating your report using Crystal Reports.  IT would allow you to generate the results you desire.  You can develop this in house or contract with an ACT Certified Consultant.  There are also Crystal Report generators that run from within ACT and would run your new report without having to place Crystal Reports on tte computer of every user.

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

ACT! Weekly Webinars: ActTrainer/webinars.com
ACT! in the Cloud on April 10 @10am Cen
ACT for Web on April 15 @10 am Cen

Please use plain text.
Tuned Listener
smartact
Message 6 of 9 (1,197 Views)

Jon,

Is there any reason why Crystal Reports would be a better choice than MS Access? I have already got the data (contacts, groups, activities, opportunities - and the relevant join tables) into Access, and I've setup the relationships as well.

Also, just using an appropriate repoting tool is only half the battle. I still need to be able to setup the fields, screens etc. in the right place i.e. either at the Contact level or at the Group level (or maybe both), and also know whether the activity details must be entered as activities or as opportunities. Any tips in this area?

Thanks.

Cyril

------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------

Please use plain text.
Silver Contributor
jonmklub
Message 7 of 9 (1,195 Views)

Just much more powerful as a report writer, and easier to deploy if others need to run the reports.  If you know access and access meets your needs, it could work.

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

ACT! Weekly Webinars: ActTrainer/webinars.com
ACT! in the Cloud on April 10 @10am Cen
ACT for Web on April 15 @10 am Cen

Please use plain text.
Platinum Elite Contributor
Roy_Laudenslage
Message 8 of 9 (1,186 Views)

Without more in depth information about what you want to accomplish, I would probably use the Opportunities for your projects. As for third party reporting, Crystal is one choice but you need either the program or a runtime module to use the reports with ACT! 2010. You mentioned Access and that would also be an option.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Tech Benders
royel@techbenders.com
Please use plain text.
Tuned Listener
smartact
Message 9 of 9 (1,183 Views)

Thanks Roy and Jon,

I guess it'll be Access then...since I already have and use the program.

Having said that, I believe I may have Crystal Report version 8 kicking around somewhere (which I haven't used for a few years now). Would that work?

Later,

Cyril

---------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------

Please use plain text.