Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
tonyavanmeter
Message 1 of 13 (8,237 Views)

How Do I Transfer My Database From One Computer to Another - Both Have My Act Software

I have tried everything, how do I copy the act database over to my new computer?  Help Please! :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Platinum Elite Contributor
GLComputing
Message 2 of 13 (8,195 Views)

Re: How Do I Transfer My Database From One Computer to Another - Both Have My Act Software

Assuming it's only a single user and moving the database to a new PC and no-linger using the old one, this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1981...

If shared, sync or wanting to keep the database on both, there are extra steps... let me know if they apply to you.

Also, you didn't say what version of ACT!... if 6.0 or earlier, it's different again

Please use plain text.
sloud1
Message 3 of 13 (5,193 Views)

Re: How Do I Transfer My Database From One Computer to Another - Both Have My Act Software

I want to maintain the same database on my desktop and laptop.  How do I do this?

Please use plain text.
GLComputing
Message 4 of 13 (5,189 Views)

Please use plain text.
Gallienus
Message 5 of 13 (4,436 Views)

I've concluded that unless you pay them a support fee, you simply cannot do anything with a database.  If you want to copy it or even if you want to back it up this is not possible from the info given.  I've done everything outlined and then I get a

"you must 1st log-in as Administrator" [even tho I am]  error message.

Thus every time you wish to backup a database, you need to have a support contract with Sage active.  I've been using it for 4 years now & this has ALWAYS been the case.

Please use plain text.
Nickel Elite Contributor
wellmet
Message 6 of 13 (4,433 Views)

My clients don't have issues with backing up ACT! databases and I have heard of very few end users who have had issues.  There must be something wrong with your environment.  You might want to hire an ACT! Certified Consultant to take a look at it and see what's going on.  They can help you eliminate these issues you are having.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to: www.act.com/acc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
www.adsprogramming.com
Please use plain text.
Roy_Laudenslage
Message 7 of 13 (4,432 Views)

I'm going to assume that you are using Vista or Windows 7. If so you aren't the administrator unless you're disabled the UAC or you right click on the program icon and choose run as administrator. You're user account in ACT! may be configured to restrict making a backup and it's best to make the backup to a local drive. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
Tech Benders
royel@techbenders.com
Please use plain text.
Gallienus
Message 8 of 13 (4,433 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have 2 computers: a desktop Windows-7 Pro using ACT2012 + a laptop also Windows-7 using ACT 2012.  The desktop has been using ACT for 2 years but I just installed ACT on the laptop yesterday.

I wish to copy my database from one to the other (desk => laptop). I did this database export to a local C drive which I copied over to the laptop via a flashdrive.

However if there's a better export mechanism or file type I should save this would be good. I've tried running ACT on the laptop as Administrator. Also my account on the laptop is an Admin one. ACT asks me for the database login & pwd which I give it.

Also there are no special switches available on the laptop Admin account. Its just an Administrator account.

When I try to open that database with the laptop ACT, or in fact ANY database with the laptop, even the Demo databases, I get the ff error message: "To finalize the Registration, the database Administrator must login first".  Thus I guess there's not a problem w/ my database but with some sort of Access.  This is a relatively new OS install on the laptop.

I wish ACT made database saving easier. I find it highly ungood that it would be so difficult to save & store one's information.

Please use plain text.
Roy_Laudenslage
Message 9 of 13 (4,427 Views)

The ACT! backup is the easiest way to move the database. The problem seems to be the User Access Account (UAC) that Microsoft added with Vista and continues with Windows 7. With the UAC enabled the administrator login to Windows means that you aren't really the full administrator even if you are the sole user of the computer. Try Googling UAC for more information.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
Tech Benders
royel@techbenders.com
Please use plain text.
Gallienus
Message 10 of 13 (4,427 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for info. Have found the UAC for Windows-7 and set it to the lowest level (this is off). Rebooted. This did not help. Still unable to open Any Database as that "Finalize Registration" error persists.

Please use plain text.