Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
steveholtam
Message 21 of 39 (9,232 Views)

Re: Export Notes from ACT to excel

Same problem as most, no UniqueID's in the sub-tables.  Why even have directions on exporting via OLEDB if the data that comes out in little isolated islands.  If anyone found a work around, please post instructions.
Please use plain text.
explorer70
Message 22 of 39 (9,223 Views)

Hi,

I found and successfully used an application called "Magic DB Explorer" from Magic software. It also connects to ACT through an OLEDB link, but record ID's are correctly exported here and you get a view of all relevant tables in ACT. The way it works if first you pull/query your data into Magic db explorer, and then you export to excel, text file or other available option. You can download a trial version of this software which doesn't have any restrictions besides a 30 day period.

Hope it helps.
JM

Please use plain text.
409industries
Message 23 of 39 (8,528 Views)

[ Edited ]

I need to get notes out of the ACT! database too and have downloaded Magic DB Explorer. What is the best way to use this freeware to export the VRP_CONTACT_NOTE data into an excel file?

Also, i tried this method and can connect to the database just fine (http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1402...) , however when it comes time to drop the data into excel it crashes the whole program! Both in excel 2003 and 2007... I feel like i am close, but just can't figure out why this is happening. Possibly because im attempting to do the export over a network share in windows?

Message Edited by 409industries on 09-11-2009 02:57 PM
Please use plain text.
ogomez
Message 24 of 39 (7,527 Views)

How did you finally do it? I have the same challenge ahead of me.

Thanks in advance, 

Osvaldo

Please use plain text.
bjohnbcd
Message 25 of 39 (7,065 Views)

Which 3rd party software did you use?
Please use plain text.
409industries
Message 26 of 39 (7,057 Views)

I believe it was "Exporter for ACT!" 2005-2009 Version 5.4.2
Please use plain text.
jtothez
Message 27 of 39 (5,108 Views)

Ok, I've it... and I'm going to explain how too (not like that one narcissist that didn't tell us how).

*note* my version of ACT is 2006 - so I'm not 100% sure this will work for other versions.  Also, you'll need to make sure you've installed ACT on the same computer you're installing Magic DB Explorer on.  It needs to be a seperate computer though from where the database is hosted.  For example, my ACT database lives on a server network drive (S drive).  I installed a 30 day version of ACT 2006 on my test computer here, just to run this export.  You do not need to really even open the ACT instance on the computer, it just needs to be installed.

The solution is to use the Magic DB Explorer program (http://www.brothersoft.com/magic-db-explorer-download-218505.html?bottom).  It's full featured and free for 30 days.

Once you install and open the program you need to make a connection to the ACT database.  Click on:

New Connection then on the Setup Connection box leave the database type as ADO.

Next click the Build Connection String button.

On the Data Link Properties page, select the ACT provider, then click the Next button.

Next you just have to point to the location of the .PAD file (ACT index file), then supply an ACT username and password that you've used before to log into ACT.

Test your connection then SAVE.

Your connection should now appear under the Databases section at the upper-left.  DOUBLE CLICK on your connection to connect to the database.  You'll know you're connected if the name of the database appears on the middle of Magic DB Explorer.

Next copy the following text into the white box at the top of Magic DB Explorer (this is the SQL code you're going to use for the query):

select * from VRP_CONTACT_NOTE
INNER JOIN VRP_CONTACT
ON VRP_CONTACT_NOTE.[CONTACT NOTE CONTACTID] = VRP_CONTACT.[CONTACT CONTACTID]

Click the button at the top-right to execute the query.

Note* the default max records is set to 100.  This is a very small amount of data and you may need to increase this number then run the query again.

Click on the SQL tab below the query window to view your data.  To export the data, RIGHT CLICK directly on the button to the right that says "Save Data".  You will be given options to save to XLS, TXT, HTML, etc.

Please use plain text.
fhmaya
Message 28 of 39 (4,259 Views)

Hey, thank you so much for sharing the answer. However, the notes field does not transfer all the information. Is there a limit on the characters?

Please use plain text.
fhankinson
Message 29 of 39 (3,490 Views)

Hello,

Thanks, your post has been very helpful.

Apart from notes, I also need to export the appointment history.  I have tried replacing bits of your sql code to get this working, but I am not having much luck.  Would please be able to help me out and tell me what the code would be for getting this database?

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
CT
Astute Commentator
CT
Message 30 of 39 (3,490 Views)

Hi wldcdn

As a long term ACT! user (and very technical) I simply gave up on this.  Nothing I've tried works robustly in any way.  I probably spent 15 hours on this to no avail.

Craig

Please use plain text.