Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
wldcdn
Message 1 of 39 (26,779 Views)

Export Notes from ACT to excel

I would like to export a copy of my 'notes' in ACT to excel - is there any easy way to do this?  Thank you!
Please use plain text.
Bronze Contributor
pbuchtmann
Message 2 of 39 (26,755 Views)

Re: Export Notes from ACT to excel

I don't see an easy way to do this for 2 reasons

a) There is a limit in the length of text in an excel field as it woudl cut off beyond the limit

b) The one way might be to print the notes report to .rtf and then open this in Word would be one simple answer

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Please use plain text.
Platinum Elite Contributor
GLComputing
Message 3 of 39 (26,938 Views)
Please use plain text.
Copper Contributor
iseekyoda2
Message 4 of 39 (26,459 Views)

SURE! Who's going to pay for the add-on?  Not me.  ACT needs to get their ACT together and provide me a way to get my data out by means other than a class-action lawsuit.
Please use plain text.
GLComputing
Message 5 of 39 (26,513 Views)

As Paul said, Excel doesn't have the ability to store the amount of information that can be stored in ACT!'s Notes... so it might be Microsoft you want to chase with that lawsuit.

Of course, ACT! provides many methods for people to get access to the data externally:

OLEDB - http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1402...

ODBC - http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2298...

SDK - http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1496...

Unless you work for free, you'll usually find it's better value to get the addon to do the export properly.

Please use plain text.
dlunceford
Message 6 of 39 (26,550 Views)

iseekyoda2,

As Mike stated, the ability to get your notes to out of ACT! is already available in a number of ways without the purchase of an addon. 

Please use plain text.
Copper Contributor
iseekyoda2
Message 7 of 39 (27,108 Views)

Thanks for the information.  I have been able to get my notes and history out...

But, there doesn't seem to be any field in Notes or History databases that ties in those entries to the contacts in the contact database.

How can I do this?

Please use plain text.
GLComputing
Message 8 of 39 (27,113 Views)

Please use plain text.
Copper Contributor
iseekyoda2
Message 9 of 39 (27,337 Views)

Well, the only method I was able to successfully use was OLEDB into EXCEL.  I found that the notes data was in RTF format, but that's not a problem.  But, I did not see any UniqueID fields in the export.  I sincerely appreciate your help.
Please use plain text.
Copper Contributor
iseekyoda2
Message 10 of 39 (27,379 Views)

VICTORY!  I have solved the issue.  I got my data out and all of the IDs.   Hmmm, I see a business opportunity here.
Please use plain text.