Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error when converting Act 6 database to v19 (Windows 10)

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Error when converting Act 6 database to v19 (Windows 10)

I recently bought a Windows 10 machine, installed Act v19, and then ran into the following errors when trying to import my Act 6! Database (which I've been using successfully for decades on my old Windows XP machine)...

First I got the following error:

Capture1.PNG

I then clicked okay and it continued running normally until I got this error:

Capture2.PNG

And then finally, I got this error:

Updating database...
    An exception occurred changing the schema. Your previous Act! database cannot be converted. See the Start Here guide for more information.
    The process cannot access the file 'pre7actdb.adb' because it is being used by another process.

Any ideas would be appreciated, as I'm completely lost without ACT and ACT 6! apparently won't run in Windows 10, so I have to upgrade.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author oldfashioned
‎02-06-2017 08:26 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Error when converting Act 6 database to v19 (Windows 10)

First make sure that you've done the Advanced/Act Diag maintenance in v6. Then find a download of an earlier version; I'd recommend Act 2012/v14. Do the conversion there then update to v19 and try it on the new database. Make sure you reboot after an error message before trying again. If you continue to run into additional problems give us a call - we've never had a database that we couldn't convert.

Karen Fredricks
Tech Benders
561-470-5450

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Contributor

First thing have you tried installing ACT 6.0 on the new machine. I have been playing about with ACT 6.0 on my W10 PC and it seems to work but you can't integrate with Office or Outlook.

You cannot upgrade straight from ACT 6.0 to 19. The conversion process cannot cope with this jump.  

Follow this link for details on how to convert.

Hope this helps

Cecil

Solution
Accepted by topic author oldfashioned
‎02-06-2017 08:26 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

First make sure that you've done the Advanced/Act Diag maintenance in v6. Then find a download of an earlier version; I'd recommend Act 2012/v14. Do the conversion there then update to v19 and try it on the new database. Make sure you reboot after an error message before trying again. If you continue to run into additional problems give us a call - we've never had a database that we couldn't convert.

Karen Fredricks
Tech Benders
561-470-5450
Administrator

Hi oldfashioned,

I've sent you a PM with the download link for Act! 2012.

Thanks!  I did finally manage to get it to work by going into 2012 first and then v19