Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Copper Contributor
keyports
Message 1 of 30 (5,362 Views)
Accepted Solution

Email history not attaching to Contacts

Hi All,

I am lost. I am using Act 2009 with Outlook 2007 in Windows 7 and the problem is that when I want to attach an email I received or sent I am unable to attach it to the contacts file. 

In Outlook I have the Act tool bar. I can click on it or open the drop down and click on attach emails to contacts.  Everything looks correct. However; when I look in the contact history there is no record of the file I just attached in Outlook.

I have to add that it has been working fine. At least up to about 2 weeks ago according to the date stamp.

Any ideas?

Should I back up the data base and reinstall the program?  

Thanks for your help.

Please use plain text.
MoZ
Tuned Listener
MoZ
Message 2 of 30 (5,300 Views)

Re: Email history not attaching to Contacts

Does it fail to attach all emails that are received or just some?

If the email attachments are always failing, try recreating the Outlook rule. If the latter, then check whether the email address is exactly the same in ACT as that received in Outlook.

Try these first - there are a few more steps to try if these do not work.

Moshe

Lateral Solutions

ACT Shop

Please use plain text.
Copper Contributor
keyports
Message 3 of 30 (5,257 Views)

The system was working fine up until about 2-3 weeks ago according to the time stamps on the last messages in the history tab.  I have tried attaching to the contacts incoming emails, out going emails and replies with no luck.

I have gone through the setup for email and made sure Outlook was the correct program.  

Everything looks correct but there seems to be a disconnect between Outlook and Act. All the tool bars are in place the pop screens pop up and ask what contact do you want to save this email to. I have done this hundreds of times but when I check the contact history file there is nothing going back in one case 3 weeks ago. 

Something is blocking the emails getting to Act.

I looking for ideas

Please use plain text.
Platinum Super Contributor
gmartin
Message 4 of 30 (5,254 Views)

You'll need to make sure that the 'Act.Outlook.Service.exe' process is running.  You can do this by accessing the Task Manager screen (click on Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys simutaneously and then select Task Manager) > go to the Processes tab.  If this service is not running, go to the path C:\Program Files\Act\Act for Windows and locate the 'Act.Outlook.Service.exe' file - double click on it and check to make sure it is in the Task Manager. 

If it has not been running for a couple of weeks, it will take a few minutes for it to get caught up.

Greg Martin
Sage
Please use plain text.
Copper Contributor
keyports
Message 5 of 30 (5,235 Views)

Thanks Greg.  That was the problem.  Do you have any idea of why it did not start up with the program when it started? 

Is there something that I need to change so that this will not happen again?

Again,  Thank you for your help.

Please use plain text.
gmartin
Message 6 of 30 (5,229 Views)

I assume you have rebooted your computer in the past couple of weeks - this service is part of the startup process of a reboot.  If it isn't starting automatically it may have been 'unchecked' in the startup commands.  To check this:

- click on the Windows Start button

- in XP > click on Run > enter command 'msconfig'

- in Vista/Win7 > in Search field > enter 'msconfig'

- hit enter key > this will bring up the System Configuration Utility

- click on the Startup tab

- look in the Startup Item column for all 'ACT' entries > there will be multiples, are they all 'checked' > if not, put a check mark in the box(es) and click the Apply button.

If you make any changes to this screen, when you close this window it will prompt you to reboot > click on the Reboot Later option.  You already have the service running so there is no need to reboot at this time. 

Someone may have changed these settings to reduce overhead or speed up reboot time.

Greg Martin
Sage
Please use plain text.
Copper Contributor
keyports
Message 7 of 30 (5,220 Views)

I have to add another thank you.  I did find 2 boxes not checked off.  It looks like we are up and running again.

Again, Thanks Greg.

Please use plain text.
TBF
TBF
Message 8 of 30 (4,528 Views)

I have the same issue for e mails that I have received.

Tried the suggestions in the thread with no joy

.I amended the outlook rule today to show a colored flag for the e mails that have attached.When I ran the rule the flag did come up on the messages but they have not appeared within ACT history.The sent ones do.

The rule has never worked for me

I'm on Outlook 2003,Vista and ACT 10

Many thanks

Please use plain text.
Copper Contributor
hwolf
Message 9 of 30 (3,523 Views)

I am having the same problem where some of the meails are not being attached to ACT 2009 contacts.

I have 3 ACT databases. It seems like it attaches fine to the default database but not to the other databases.

The ACTService program is running.. I tried running ACT as an administrator.

I get the icon in the taskbar showing messages not attached. I select one of the the databases and  try then to do it manually and get a pop up that it can not access database.

Henry

Please use plain text.
gmartin
Message 10 of 30 (3,472 Views)

Henry,

The Act!/Outlook integration will automatically attach emails to the Default address book (Act! database).  To attach emails to 2nd or 3rd database you can use the manual steps (Act! add-ins within Outlook) or change the Default address book and use Quick Attach.

Are you saying that when you choose the 'Attach to Act! contact' icon to manually attach an email - you are getting an error that it cannot access database?  Or is that the message in the 'Attach to Act! Contacts Progress' / 'Not Attached Messages' tab?

Greg Martin
Sage
Please use plain text.