Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
ursamax
Message 1 of 11 (1,041 Views)

Differing Phone Field Country Codes for a Single Contact

A layout in an earlier version of ACT! allowed for both default country code input and user specified country code input within the same record.  For instance, a US based customer with a Malaysian mobile phone could be created with a US address and "1" area code, but for his mobile phone I could pull down the country information and specify Malaysia, so that the appropriate country code "60" would be displayed for his mobile phone.

How can I use layout designer to accomplish a similar result?  Or, is there a standard layout that I can load with this kind of capability?

Thanks,

B

Please use plain text.
Platinum Elite Contributor
ghollister
Message 2 of 11 (975 Views)

Re: Differing Phone Field Country Codes for a Single Contact

Each phone field on the layout can be assigned a different phone format. Just click the square with the three dots next to the field to assign the format.

Greig Hollister
Sage

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software

Please use plain text.
ursamax
Message 3 of 11 (971 Views)

Thanks Greg.  That was what I had recalled, BUT i do not have the "three dots" shown on my layout.

I'm using the Basic Contact Layout - 1024 x 768 and it's not shown there.  As a possible clue...when I open Layout Designer, the phone fields show a "down arrow" indicating that there is a pull down menu, but in the designer I am unable to select the pull down or see what it's linked to.  Changing back to the database, looking at the contact, the pull down arrow (or the three dots) are not displayed.

Is it possible that another layout design has these items built into it?  If so, where can I get a copy?  I don't see any other layouts in my files other than a basic 800 x 600.

B

Please use plain text.
GLComputing
Message 4 of 11 (967 Views)

Does the button appear in the Demo database?

Are you sure the fields are Phone type in Design Fields?
The down arrow would usually mean a field with a drop-down, not a phone field.

If it's a phone field in Design Fields, try removing from the Layout and re-adding
Please use plain text.
ursamax
Message 5 of 11 (963 Views)

Thanks Mike.
Removing the layout is problematic, since I only have on other to work with, which is the 600 x 800. I selected the 600 x 800 to have a look and it also did not have a pull down or selection ... enabled. As I downloaded this SW from the SAGE website, are layouts hidden somewhere else in the setup files?
Please use plain text.
GLComputing
Message 6 of 11 (962 Views)

Please use plain text.
ursamax
Message 7 of 11 (961 Views)

There is no demo database on this box.  I recently moved databases to this box after downloading ACT!2010.

In testing for the country code issue, I did attempt to modify a layout by adding a phone field, adding PHONE2.  After savign the new layout, with the additional field, I opened the database and selected the modified layout, it also did not offer a method to select a different country.

When I look at the field attributes on the design page, I can't detect any info that would indicate if it was a phone field.

An additional point is that I do get country codes automatically loaded when I enter a phone number.  It simply does not allow me to select a different country code, if there is a different within the record.

Please use plain text.
ursamax
Message 8 of 11 (959 Views)

The version of ACT! is:  ACT! by Sage 2010 Version 12.1.181.0, Hot Fix 1

New Sony Vaio with Windows 7 Professional

Please use plain text.
ursamax
Message 9 of 11 (956 Views)

As if by magic (FM?) the country code selection (...) had reappeared on the database. I have been wrestling wth this over the past few days without success. The testing of a modified layout is the only significant action taken. Very, very odd. Thanks for your input. Problem solved by unknown actions.
Please use plain text.
GLComputing
Message 10 of 11 (956 Views)

Please use plain text.