Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Delete Record Manager

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Delete Record Manager

(ACT 2010)

Long ago ('08?), at database set up, I mistakenly chose one of my contact names for the administrator/record manager, instead of my name.  No problem with access, but I really have to clean this up.  In the manage users form I can add myself as a new user (Exceeding my license capacity of course, so I leave this new manager inactive) but I can't delete the old user profile - the delete option is grayed out, as is the option to make that manager inactive on the following screen.  If I could just edit the name of the bad user that would be fine, of course, but that option is greyer out as well.

How can I either delete and replace, or edit the name field of, the faulty user/administrator-record manager?

Thanks for any suggestions you all might have.

Barrett

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bare-it
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Delete Record Manager

Hi there,

Just changing the contact name to your name will fix this.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bare-it
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Hi there,

Just changing the contact name to your name will fix this.

Doh!  (palm to forehead slap) Simple logic strikes again.  (I mean logic in problem solving, not logic in application design) 

I just edited each field in the bad "is manager" contact until it became me (including deleting all the existing notes, attachments etc, then rebuilt a new contact with the old company's data, history, attached documents etc.  Not that difficult, but it seems like a hack that intuitive design work on the front end, at Sage, could avoid.  I mean, the way it is right now why don't they just say, in their help system, that you can never delete the first user you identify as an administrator, you can only edit that user out of existence and then edit it into........you.

Thank you for the response. 

Bronze Super Contributor

Your challenge was made more complex becuase you only have one license...

Unfortunately, I believe that I deleted this first contact record.  How do I find my cantact info and make it the first record if needed so that I am the record manager?
Platinum Super Contributor

The record in question is referred to as the 'My Record'.  By default it will be the first contact record presented when you open the database.  If you are being presented with a record that contains someone else's information, your My Record has most likely been overwritten.  To correct this:

- go to Lookup menu > select My Record

This will display the record that should have your information.  If it has information for one of your contacts, you will will need to create a new contact record and enter the information for that contact (use Duplicate Contact for ease). 

- go back to Lookup menu > select My Record > and update it to your information

Greg Martin
Sage

Replace contact name on Record Manager

Hi!

There was a person who is not longer anymore in our company so I set it up as inactive and the name was X.  Then a new person Y came and all the notes for some reason all the notes that X persons did before has the Y name, I went to manage users and I can not change the Contact Name on the X user?  Act Pro Version17.0151.0, I tried to create a new user but it didnt let me at the end.

Platinum Elite Contributor

When user "Y" opens the database, what is the contact name of the default contact record?
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Default contact name of this person is one user that is inactive already, that computer is unavailable, it doesn't have the software anymore.

Administrator

Hi myugoque20,

It sounds like some overwriting of users has occurred. I would recommend that you do not rename or repurpose users. Just make them inactive and create new users for new staff members.

I would suggest you try the solution for the error you're receiving when creating a new user. Follow the steps in the following Knowledgebase article: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28141

After you've done this, try creating a new user again.