Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Copper Contributor
Strail
Message 1 of 10 (2,389 Views)

Custom Email Button?

After looking through the forums I cant find a full answer to this, so maybe someone can help.

I'm looking for a button or one click solution which will create the email and then use the template I want for that specific purpose, rather than the:

Write > email Message (from template) > choose email template > click open

I have looked at the "How To Customize a Menu or Toolbar in ACT!" but it doesnt put any meat on the bone like parameters etc.

I have tried the customize toolbars and dragged the "email Message (from template)" to create a new button, but i cant find how to edit it any further to open and use the template.

This is important as we now have a couple of instances where people are using/selecting the wrong email template from the list when their busy.

Any help suggestions would be appreciated - I really dont want to buy another addon as it seems a simple option.

Many thanks

Im using:

ACT! by Sage 2008 (10.0) Version 10.0.3.182

Act email

Please use plain text.
Platinum Elite Contributor
ghollister
Message 2 of 10 (2,342 Views)

Re: Custom Email Button?

Unfortunately, the custom commands can only be used to execute a single process and choosing a custom template involves more than one process.

The only workaround I know of is to assign the custom template you want to be your default email template by renaming it to Emailbody.adt. This template is used as the default when Write/E-mail Message is clicked...so if you added this command to your toolbar, it will generate the email using whatever template is name "Emailbody.adt". When renaming the custom template, you would first have to rename the current "Emailbody.adt" file to something else.

Note: "Emailbody.adt" is the default if you are using MS Word as your word processor. If using the ACT! Word Processor, then the file would be named "Emailbody.tpl".

Greig Hollister
Sage

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software

Please use plain text.
Copper Contributor
Strail
Message 3 of 10 (2,332 Views)

Thanks for the reply!

So I guess theres only one template I can do this with. i.e. one email message template?

I might have a try at macros then and see if this can be done. IIRC In the old versions of Act there used to be a macro function. But I cant find this in the current version I use, has it been deprecated?

Anyway, unless someone has an alternative, Im going to have to go down this route.

Please use plain text.
Copper Super Contributor
mikefm101
Message 4 of 10 (1,590 Views)

Hi,

I've been stumbling with this as well.

One solution that works for single email messages is when using Word as the email editor there is a function on the Insert menu called Quickparts.  With this preformatted blocks of text can be saved in the Quickparts folder and then inserted into the document. 

It isn't as streamlined as a form email template.  Most of my emails are one-offs and usually need different sections added so it works for me. 

Mike

Please use plain text.
Copper Super Contributor
gtdc
Message 5 of 10 (1,557 Views)

I haven't found a solution to this either. I submitted it to the SAGE wishlist ages ago.

It seems realy no-brainer to me. Presumably more than just a few of us have a menu of standard emails we send a lot and would like to just click one button to do so.

Having lost the ability to do this as a macro as we could under previous versions of ACT is a big backward step.

Please use plain text.
Bronze Contributor
jimdurkin
Message 6 of 10 (1,514 Views)

We have a free add-on that will do this and a few other things. This add on adds a button to the left of ALL email field on the contact details window. This button is customizable and allows you to select one or multiple email templates.

Go to http://durkincomputing.com/Download.aspx then scroll down to the "FREE ACT! Addons" section at  the bottom.

There you will find our add-on Durkin Toolkit Visual for ACT!. This is the free version of our more populate Durkin Toolkit that creates custom tables. This version has all the visual features of the full version but does not support custom tables.

Hope this helps.

-- Jim Durkin

Please use plain text.
Copper Super Contributor
gtdc
Message 7 of 10 (1,504 Views)

It's a trial version rather than free isn't it?

Had a look at it but installation took over the left side of my ACT screen including the quick look up bit.

Please use plain text.
Bronze Contributor
jimdurkin
Message 8 of 10 (1,500 Views)

No The Durkin Toolkit Visual version is FREE!

This version does everything the full toolkit does but it does not support custom tables. That's why its free.

If you want to create 1 custom table then you need to buy the lite version. If you want unlimited custom tables you will need the runtime version.

You can turn off the Toolbar option by following these steps: in ACT go to the tools menu and select DURKIN TOOLKIT then click on the TOOLBAR tab and uncheck the Toolbar switch. You will now see the native ACT! toolbar.

Hope this helps

-- Jim Durkin

Please use plain text.
Copper Super Contributor
gtdc
Message 9 of 10 (1,483 Views)

Excellent. Will have another look. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
db
Copper Contributor
db
Message 10 of 10 (524 Views)

In the new version of Act!, so Act! 2011, the emailbody.adt is already this template that act! use to write an email?

I have try to change this template for all of my email, but it's only a new email that open, with my signature.

many thanks for your help

Please use plain text.