Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Auto attach recieved messages from Outlook

Highlighted

Auto attach recieved messages from Outlook

About 10 days of troubleshooting, I am a bit at the end of my tether. I'm the IT guy but my management has given me a couple of days to resolve or we cancel our Act subs so if anyone can help that would be great.

This maybe an Outlook issue, but MS dont want to know, they are firmly placing me back in the Act camp.

Summary of issue. 

Trying to attach incoming/recieved emails to Act history automatically. 

(Outbound will attach automatically, no problem)

(Quick attach works instantly, no problem.)

The problem is when configuring a custom action in Outlook rules.

We have the address book attached, we create a rule to perform a custom action 

- but the outlook 'Select Custom Action' dialoge, and the dropdown "Choose an Action to be performed' are empty.

Troubleshooting to date:

Setup a new server, installed Outlook 2010, updated Windows and Office - as current as I can get 2010. (I know the above cant be done in Outlook 2013/16)

Installed Act 19.0.147.0 

Restored data etc 

I've done this in conjunction with Support, and we cant resolve it. 

On the surface it looks like an Act issue, but the solution I keep getting told is 'uninstall Act', 'reinstall Act" and I'm a bit tired of that.

As far as I can tell, the Act installer is not adding the Custom actions (XML files??) at installation, so Outlook cant present them.

Maybe a weird permissions thing, I have no idea.

Googled every thing on this, there are other people who have the same problem but no resolutions. 

I'm on a very clean build of a server, and its my second server! Lots of frustrated users, please help!!

Administrator

Re: Auto attach recieved messages from Outlook

Hi daveyt73,

I'm sorry to say that this is a known issue in Act! v19. It's been logged as defect D-05366.
I apologise for this inconvenience. The current workaround for this issue would be to temporarily downgrade to Act! v18, however this would require you to have a backup of your database before it was upgraded to v19.

Oh wow, thanks for the information. How unbelieveably annoying. Is there a schedule for fixing do you know? Its a fundamental feature and I think a case to be had for a refund, as its pretty much 50% of the reason for using this product to us. Sounds dramatic but we are simple,we like the Act basic functionality and we upgraded to subscriptions so problems like this would go away! 

thanks again.

Administrator

Hi daveyt73,

I can understand your frustration, and I know it's something we are aiming to fix in a future update, but unfortunately, I don't have any indication of timeframes at the moment.

The feature is one that isn't used by many of our customers, due to Outlook's custom action rules feature becoming limited in versions of Outlook after 2010. This resulted in the auto-attaching inbound emails feature to be discontinued in these later Outlook versions. It is a feature that is still expected to work in Outlook 2010 and below, however it appears that a change to the Outlook integration system in v19 caused this feature to unexpectedly stop working.

I'll post any updates on the issue as I receive them.

[ Edited ]

Thanks. We just went through the pain of changing to Office MOLP licensing so we could downgrade everyone legally from 2016 to 2010 also to facilitate this. That was painful as it is. 

I do have an old backup from 2 weeks ago of act, from version 16 so I may offer that a possibility. We only need to go through and mass attach emails manually to catch up the last 2 weeks. I'll see if I can sell that to the power that be.

Bronze Contributor

Hi David,

You might want to look at OutlookIntegrator from DesignR1 - http://www.designr1.com/shop/outlook-integrater1/

HTH

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 

We did thankyou but management are deeming the whole thing a little unsatisfactory and I have a new project to migrate to Zoho CRM now. Thankyou.