Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
michaelad
Message 1 of 7 (7,231 Views)

Act + Gmail compatibility

So I am trying to assist a coworker set up thier Act program so they can send emails directly from Act by clicking on thier contact information. I cant get it to work properly it keeps telling me:

"unable to authenticate outgoing mail server.  username or password is incorrect" - and the outgoing mail server is correct (in this case, smtp.gmail.com) and my username and password are correct

Assistance would be greatly appreciated

Please use plain text.
Platinum Elite Contributor
ghollister
Message 2 of 7 (7,211 Views)

Re: Act + Gmail compatibility

Make sure you have your Gmail account properly configured for POP and that you are using the correct mail server names in the ACT! setup.  You can get Gmail setup instructions for configuring mail clients by clicking in this link:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13287&topic=12917

It may be that, due to the port security or configuration that Gmail uses, that ACT! will not be able to connect. In this case, you can use Outlook Express or Outlook to connect to Gmail (since they have more advanced mail configuration options than ACT! Email), then integrate ACT! with one of them.

Greig Hollister
Sage

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software

Please use plain text.
Gina de Rin
Message 3 of 7 (6,475 Views)

[ Edited ]

Did you ever get your gmail configured with your ACT? I am having so many problems. All of my information is correct and the pop is still on connecting!!!! Can someone help me PLEASE!!!!!!!

Gina

www.petjones.com

Message Edited by ghollister on 11-24-2009 09:16 AM
Please use plain text.
Platinum Elite Contributor
ghollister
Message 4 of 7 (6,452 Views)

Hello Gina,

Unfortunately you will not be able to configure ACT! Email to directly access your GMail account as Gmail does not use the default ports of 25 and 110 for its incoming and outgoing mail servers. Please see this document regarding configuring Gmail for information regarding port settings. I addition, Gmail uses SSL, which ACT! Email cannot be configured with.

To access your Gmail account within ACT!, you would need to configure Outlook Express (Windows XP only) or Outlook (XP, Vista, Windows 7) to access you Gmail account, then have ACT! access Outlook or Outlook Express. ACT! cannot connect to Windows Mail in Vista or Windows 7

Greig Hollister
Sage

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software

Please use plain text.
simpleorange
Message 5 of 7 (4,932 Views)

It is possible to get ACT! to work with gmail using a program called Stunnel

I successfully set it up using this guide: How to Use Gmail with ACT!  

Please use plain text.
Banachek
Message 6 of 7 (1,084 Views)

you will be able to get act to syncronize with gmail however sending an email direclty from the contact is another issue. So download the add on and it will put a small g outside the emal info, clicking it will allow you to send an email automaticall.

http://www.freeactaddons.com/free-addons  (gmail button)

Please use plain text.
jeff@avcolorado.com
Message 7 of 7 (874 Views)

Greig, anyone who has been spoiled by the benefits of IMAP and gmail would likely never want to go to POP. While it's true that I can get at the contacts via gmail and send from gmail, it is frustrating that I haven't been able to send emails directly from ACT, including the new Prem 2013 we just bought. Furthermore, once you get up to speed on Gmail and Google Apps, you will likely turn off Outlook for good, as have I. If Outlook was any good I would use it instead of ACT. I tried and came to realize that Outlook truely sucks for too many reasons to mention here, crashing being just one of them. Please, please make ACT work with IMAP and gmail. I have been using ACT since 1987 and bailed on ACT when you moved to the current flavor for a couple of years. Now that I am back I would really like to see email integration that gets us far from Outlook. This goal also fits with the sales momentum of Android smart phones (and the failure of MS phones).

Please use plain text.