gudel
Message 1 of 6 (2,497 Views)

Act 2007 SQL Server

Is it possible to move just the Act 2007 database to a standard SQL 2008 without installing Act on the server?

I have 6 Act licenses, and currently one computer has all the database. I'd like to move the database to a full standard SQL 2008, so I don't have to keep the database computer turned on for other users to access it. I do not want to install Act on the SQL server, just need the database.

Can this be done?

Please use plain text.
Platinum Elite Contributor
Roy_Laudenslage
Message 2 of 6 (2,495 Views)

Re: Act 2007 SQL Server

No. The ACT! program must be installed on the srever to be able to host the database. It doesn't require a separate license because ACT! is licensed to the names user not the machine.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Tech Benders
royel@techbenders.com
Please use plain text.
gudel
Message 3 of 6 (2,492 Views)

Yeah I'm not particularly concern about the license, we can always get another one. But it  would be a problem as I'd rather not install anything on a server, specially this SQL as it's used by other application to access the database.

Please use plain text.
Roy_Laudenslage
Message 4 of 6 (2,463 Views)

ACT! installs it's own instance of the SQL server. It you haveSQL standard already, there are KB documents on creating a standard instance of the ACT! SQL server but you still need to have the ACT! program installed on the server.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Tech Benders
royel@techbenders.com
Please use plain text.
Platinum Super Contributor
gmartin
Message 5 of 6 (2,442 Views)

Haven't actually tried this scenario... but Act! 2007 is only compatible with SQL Server 2005 (Standard or Express).  If you attempted this by manually creating the Act7 instance in SQL 2008 you would most likely receive an error that the version of SQL isn't supported when you register the Act! program.
Greg Martin
Sage
Please use plain text.
GLComputing
Message 6 of 6 (2,425 Views)

Please use plain text.