Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
GoPack93
Message 1 of 10 (9,323 Views)

ADF File - How do I convert it to a .dbf file

My computer crashed and my database seems to be stored on my hard drive as an ADF file.  I need to import this database into ACT but it will not let me.  How do I import an ADF file into ACT?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
dlunceford
Message 2 of 10 (9,293 Views)

Re: ADF File - How do I convert it to a .dbf file

You can't convert an ADF to DBF.  Are you sure you're using the same version of ACT! prior to the hard drive crash?  From what you wrote, it looks like you've installed an older version (6.0 or lower).  Reinstall the latest version you purchased and run the ACT! update.  Once done, open the ADF file to access the database.
Please use plain text.
bmattia
Message 3 of 10 (9,164 Views)

What about converting it to .bak file?  I am finding it hard to understand why they changed the extension firts of all and why we can't save to older extensions.  Even Microsoft allows this.
Please use plain text.
Nickel Super Contributor
ch1p
Message 4 of 10 (9,141 Views)

ACT 6 was based on a form of Foxpro and the DBF table held the contact data.

When ACT 7 (2005) was released it was a complete rewrite of ACT in SQL as are all subsequent releases.

There is no way of saving an SQL database as a Foxpro database that ACT 6 would recognize.

You need to look at what version of ACT you had on your machine and reinstall the same version. From the file extension you mention it will be one of the SQL ACT release. Once installed the files you need from the old machine are .ADF .ALF and the Folder -Database Files, all will have the prefix of the database name.

Next start ACT and then select File, Open Database, Change File Type and select .ADF  Browse to where you put the database files and this will open ACT and form a new  .PAD file.

Chip

Please use plain text.
clarkp
Message 5 of 10 (5,755 Views)

Chip,

I have recently downloaded Sage Act! Pro 2011 and am trying to open a database created in a previous version of the program.  When trying to open the file I get a message saying "the .ALF file cannot be found. This is not a valid ACT! database."  Is there anyway to convert this to an .ALF file using the new program?

Thanks in advance.

Clark

Please use plain text.
Platinum Elite Contributor
ghollister
Message 6 of 10 (5,752 Views)

Clark,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. What version of ACT! is your old database in? Is it ACT! 6.0 or earlier? Or ACT! 2005 (7.0) or higher?

Greig Hollister
Sage

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software

Please use plain text.
clarkp
Message 7 of 10 (5,748 Views)

Greg,

The software is ACT 8.X / 2006 Workgroup

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Roy_Laudenslage
Message 8 of 10 (5,748 Views)

The ADF file is the actual data file, that's the good news. You need the ALF file which is a looking file along with the ADF file to open or convert the database, that's the bad news. Our database repair service can create a new ALF file for your ADF file so your data isn't lost. Another option is if you have a current backup you could restore that.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Tech Benders
royel@techbenders.com
Please use plain text.
clarkp
Message 9 of 10 (5,745 Views)

Roy,

When you say if I have a current backup I could restore that, what do you mean by current back up?  Is that the ADF file?  If so, I do have that - can you point me to the directions to proceed that way?

I assume the database repair service charges a fee to create the ALF file?

Please use plain text.
Roy_Laudenslage
Message 10 of 10 (5,721 Views)

I was referring to a backup that you made with the ACT! program. Otherwise you need both the ADF and the ALF to open the database. You also should have the supplemental files for any custom layouts, templates, etc.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Tech Benders
royel@techbenders.com
Please use plain text.