Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2012 & Windows 8: phone dialog prompt everytime I run program

ACT 2012 & Windows 8: phone dialog prompt everytime I run program

[ Edited ]

I see this issue has apparently ended unresolved, unless someone has a solution to date.  Note that I had this suddenly start after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8.  I have since cleared out all applications on the computer and reinstalled everything, because of not understanding W-8 recovery.  BUT, I still get this phone prompt everytime I open ACT.  It is very annoying.  Wondering if it is a Windows thing being triggered by ACT.

[Edit: Subject updated to match topic. Subject line for all replies edited as well.]

Re: ACT 2012 & Windows 8: phone dialog prompt everytime I run program

[ Edited ]

I have just upgraded to Windows 8 and I have Sage ACT! Pro 2012 Version 14.1.108.0, which was already installed but had to be re-installed. I get the "For Added Functionality, fill out the Windows phone information dialogue" message. I never got it before. Filling out the form doesn't take it away. I think Windows is assuming that I am portable, but it's my desk top, which hopefully stays still. It's annoying. How do I close this information request for stationary compters?

Silver Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Microsoft changed the way the dialer works in Windows 8.  I think they have integrated Skype but the change was rather significant.  That is what is causing the issue with ACT!.  The first version of ACT! to support Windows 8 will be ACT! 2013 SP1 which should be out in January.  There is no fix for the issue you are having and it is unlikely that one will be created for earlier versions of ACT!.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

[ Edited ]

That was very helpful. I'll ignore it for now.

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's not cool if Sage decides not to address this Windows 8 problem in Act! 2012 with a hotfix. This is not an "old" version and Windows 8 is not an esoteric configuration.

It's not OK to use this kind of thing to force an upgrade. Not. OK.

Astute Commentator

[ Edited ]

I agree zenkutsu64, it's not OK at all!

I've just started evaluating Windows 8 for deployment in our small business where we use 5x ACT! 2010 licenses.

I've been getting this message every time I start ACT! and came to look for a solution.

Three years on and still no fix!

And no quick patch to handle Windows 8 even though even Sage must have known it was coming.

I've been using ACT! since Version 5 and this is typical of the paucity of support on ACT!.

I wouldn't recommend this flakey, poorly supported, bug-ridden crock of **** to anyone.

Sam Isaac

[ Edited ]

Hi Sam,

Very strong words! I understand your frustration. I've used Act since version 2.0. It's always been a very helpful and functional program for me. But I have to admit, they always have a problem with "little" things that affect the core program in a minor (?) way. They often catch them on the "upgrade", which is just plainly a poor way to sell to your current accounts.

I note that I have a Windows phone. Last year when I-phone upgraded their phones, Windows automatically upgraded their version. That's the kind of support that I expect from a long term services provider. I'm not saying that Windows is the greatest, but that's the service level that expected in today's intense and competetive digital environment. There are plenty of competitors to ACT, and with the introduction of the cloud, the number of competitors can only increase. SAGE has brought ACT a long way, but they often appear to treat it as a "cash cow" rather than a "race the horse" business strategy. Makes me wonder if "sell the farm" isn't far behind.

Should I be looking for another service provider?

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good afternoon everyone!

We run Sage ACT! Pro 2011 here, and myself and a colleague have recently upgraded to Windows 8. We have also found the constant "For added functionality, fill out the Windows phone information dialog" pop-up to be very annoying. So, today, I set about figuring out how to kill it off.

I've reviewed the activity during ACT! startup using ProcessMonitor. At one point, ACT! looks for a registry key, namely HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Telephony\Country List.

In Windows 8, this registry key no longer exists. It has been re-named to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Telephony\Country/region List. However, for the purposes of ACT! knowing whether or not to ask this question every time, the structure of this key does not appear to matter. Therefore the solution is to simply export the new key from the Windows 8 registry, modify the exported file so that all references to Country/region List are changed to just Country List, then re-import.

So, full instructions:

1. Open regedit and browse to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Telephony\Country/region List
  2. Right-click on the key and export to a file. Save it to your desktop.
  3. Right-click on the registry file on your desktop and select Edit.
  4. The file should then open in Notepad. Go to the Edit menu and select Replace...
  5. In the Find what: box, enter /region (forward-slash, then the word "region" in lower-case).
  6. Leave the Replace with: box empty, then click on the Replace All button.
  7. Save the file and close Notepad.
  8. Right-click the file again, but this time select Merge.
  9. This will effectively copy the content of the Windows 8 Country/region List key into a duplicate key with the name Country List, which ACT! seems to use as a check point for whether or not to ask for the phone information.

Try it and let me know if it works for you Smiley Happy

Warm regards,

Simon.

Re: ACT 2012 & Windows 8: phone dialog prompt everytime I run program - IT WORKED PERFECTLY !!!!

[ Edited ]

Simon,

Thank you so much for your contiribution here.  It worked following your explicit instructions.  I thought I started this issue in Windows 7, not just W-8, which I am running now.

Greatly appreciate you help.

Copper Contributor

Re: ACT 2012 & Windows 8: phone dialog prompt everytime I run program - IT WORKED PERFECTLY !!!!

[ Edited ]

Hoorah! Good to hear it has worked for you! Smiley Happy

I can't really comment on why it might've played up in Windows 7. Pretty sure that registry key wasn't changed in Windows 7, only Windows 8, and I never had the problem when I was running 7, so never investigated Smiley Wink

Best regards,

Simon.