Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Tuned Listener
joesweeney
Message 1 of 13 (3,137 Views)

ACT 2010 with Office 2007 - Templates cannot be edited and saved. HELP!

Hi folks,

I have been struggling with a bug in ACT since upgrading to 2010.  The effect is that we cannot edita template after it's been created.  Here is the walk through of the problem:

1. We select EDIT TEMPLATE in ACT and  then select a standard (un-edited) Template (Letter.adt).  Word 2007 starts (with the Field chooser and the ACT ad-in menu available) and we make some edits to the template, then select SAVE AS and give the file the name LetterNew.adt.  So far, so good.

2. We need to make some changes to the LetterNew.adt template, so we select EDIT TEMPLATE in ACT and select LetterNew.adt file. Word 2007 starts (but does NOT display the field chooser, but does display theACT add-in menu).  We make some edits to the LetterNew.adt file and then select SAVE (or SAVE AS) to save the file. Word responds with an error stating that the file 'is in use' and then offers us the option to save as a new name... however, Word will not allow us to save the file as an act template (*.adt), only giving us the standard Word document types.

I have spent several weeks with a very helpful ACT suppor tguy (thanks Sri) trying to fix this, including reinstalling Office and ACT, applying an Office Fix patch from Act, and even turning off all security on our Act server.  (We are using ACT 2010 standard, Office 2007 Ultimate, Windows 7 Ultimate). Network rights to the shared ACT folder are fully open, so it's not a network locking issue.

However, whenever we think we have solved this problem, it starts right back up.  The simple fact is that we cannot adjust templates once they are saved the first time.  This is very problematic for us and has more or less cripplea how we use ACT for our sales and call-centre.

Has anyone else had this problem?  If so, how did you overcome the problem?  

I would be very appreciative for any comments and suggestions.I REALY need to get this solved ASAP!

Best regards,

Joseph

Please use plain text.
Platinum Super Contributor
gmartin
Message 2 of 13 (3,047 Views)

Re: ACT 2010 with Office 2007 - Templates cannot be edited and saved. HELP!

Have you looked to see if the Winword.exe process ends (from Task Manager) before you attempt to reopen and edit the template again?  Thinking there may be an add-on conflict that is causing the process to remain open.  To test it, if it remains open after editing a template, end the process and then try editing the template again.

Also, this won't resolve your issue - but as a work around you can force Word to save a document with any extension by putting the complete name in double quotes on the Save As screen.  For example, the file name would be "New Name Template.ADT".

Greg Martin
Sage
Please use plain text.
Copper Contributor
btoman
Message 3 of 13 (2,935 Views)

We recently went through some serious problems around this issue and others with regard to adt templates.

We finally decided that Sage has not figured out how to reliably integrate with Word 2007.  This is a pretty profound thing, and it took some time to come to that insight, but once we did, it was such a relief!    This aspect of ACT is essentially alpha or beta software -- not reliable, and not something you should build business processes around.  

We have switched to using the ACT word processor for Templates, which seems to work reliably so far.  If you try this please post how it goes!

Please use plain text.
Sharra
Message 4 of 13 (2,619 Views)

I am going crazy trying to resolve almost the exact same issue.  When I edit an existing template and try to save it, I get a message that says " template name.adt is currently in use.  Try again later!"  Then a "save as" window opens prompting me to save the file as a .doc file or docx file... which will not work as an ACT Template.  Funny thing is if you do try to save the file as a doc file, you get the same message that the file is currently in use.....    There was a time when I could edit the templates and save them without incident.  One day, it just started happening out of nowhere and only happens with a few templates (so far).  Some templates I can edit and then "save as" and over write the file.  But I can not use the "save" command without getting that message.

I tried saving the file by naming it  xxxxxx.adt in double quotations... this does not work ever.

The first time it happened, using Windows explorer, I went to the ACT templates folder and noticed that there was like 100 temp files of the file I was trying to save in the folder.  For some reason they were not purging out.  I deleted them and I was able to save my template.  This worked for a while but now it no longer works.

So here is my current work around... After I edit a template, I use "save as" which allows me to save as an xxx.adt file, but I save it on my C drive, not on our server in the ACT Templates folder.  Then test it and see if your changes saved.  If they did, then you can copy the edited template file from the C drive...  back to your ACT Templates folder.

I hope this helps.  If anyone has found a pemanent solution, I would love to hear it.

Please use plain text.
Copper Contributor
dbish
Message 5 of 13 (2,007 Views)

Hi Everyone,

I'm having this same problem and now I'm concerned that there was no solution posted even though the last post was September.

I appreciate the "xxx.adt" solution - that should solve the first problem. But I can't get the Act Field Chooser to pop up when I'm editing a letter so the merge fields that I manually type in the letter don't work. In effect, Act has become unusble for me since I do a lot of merged emails and letters. Between this and the slowness of clearing activities, the fact it doesn't attach incoming emails to my histories any longer, and you name it - well, you sense my frustration.

IS ANYONE FROM SAGE WORKING ON THIS?

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Dan

Please use plain text.
Tuned Listener
jcozzoni
Message 6 of 13 (1,888 Views)

Help! This is the exact same issue we are having with ACT 2011 and Office 2007. Is there a fix? Where is the Ofifce Fix Patch that's referred to?

Please use plain text.
AnotherUser
Message 7 of 13 (1,782 Views)

Hello all,

The way I work around this problem is to locate the temporary file created when Word opens a file (in the directory where you opened your template) and delete the file.  This file will look like "~xxxxxx.adt"  Once it is removed, you can save the changes without any problem.

I certainly hope this helps others!

Good luck,

Randy

Please use plain text.
Copper Contributor
inkey
Message 8 of 13 (1,695 Views)

Deleting the temp file in the templates folder did not work for my customer.
We need to get a solution for this issue.
Thanks,
Inge van Gemert
ACT! Certified Consultant
The Netherlands
inge@inkey.net
Please use plain text.
Copper Contributor
bonddevick
Message 9 of 13 (1,656 Views)

We too are having this problem and I too have uninstalled both office and Act and it continues to persist.  We are using ACT 2011 and have this problem with office 2003 and 2007.

Please use plain text.
Copper Contributor
btoman
Message 10 of 13 (1,649 Views)

As i posted about a year ago, you people trying to use Word for templates are banging your head against wall;  I recommend that you face the fact that Sage does not have its act together with respect to integrating with Word 2007 and (apparently) Word 2010.   My office faced up to this and switched to using the ACT word processor and we have had zero problems with saving templates since then.  

Definition of insanity and all that... sure keep complaining to Sage but don't let Sage's difficulties/incompetence in this regard get in the way of your productivity.   Adapt and do what works - use the ACT word processor instead of Word.   

That's my recommendation!  Not a sage guy nor a big expert, just another user.

Please use plain text.