Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
bendoperations
Message 1 of 9 (797 Views)

created a new database....why won't fields in our preferred layout show up?

Hi all, glad to meet you and hoping you can assist in this funky issue  :smileyhappy:

We have a preferred layout that we would like to use with a second database that we just created. 

But when we select the many of the fields in the preferred layout do not show up when we're in the second database.  They do show up in the first database.

The fields do show up as when I launch the Tools --> Design Layouts with the second database selected.

How can we fix this cause we need those fields!  Thanks so much!!

Jon

Platinum Elite Contributor
Roy_Laudenslage
Message 2 of 9 (795 Views)

Re: created a new database....why won't fields in our preferred layout show up?

Basically you can't. To use the same layout you would need to create an empty copy of the database where the layout was created.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Tech Benders
royel@techbenders.com
bendoperations
Message 3 of 9 (791 Views)

Hi Roy,

Thanks for the response. How do I create an empty copy of the original database? I would have just copied the original database, but there are all those other files associated with it and I wasn't sure what to do.

Jon
Silver Contributor
jonmklub
Message 4 of 9 (786 Views)

In ACT 6, the layouts and supplemental files are specified on a per machine basis and set under tools preferences.  You would make and empty copy by File, Save Copy (empty COpy) . 

In New ACT (incase you were wondering) the layouts and supplental files are part of the database and do not need to be configfured on a per machine basais.

Generally, you are much better with only one database or as few as possible. Many people make lots of databases instead of just filtering the data in a single database. A single database is preferred as it will minimizee double data entry, duplicates, missed appts and just overal confusion.

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Act v17 Virtual Roadshow Webinars: acttrainer.com/texas-act-road-show/
Monday, November 3, 2014 at 9am CEN
Tuesday, November 4, 2014 at 1...

bendoperations
Message 5 of 9 (773 Views)

Thanks for your response, Jon.  OK, I need to make this happen, so I have some questions:

There are 27 files associated with our original database.  I have copied them all and pasted to the same Database folder.

When I open the copied database in ACT, it basically looks like my original database.

I need to delete all the contacts within the copied database so I can populate it with a new range of contacts......is that going to cause a problem with the data from the original database?  How do I empty the new database without causing problems to the old database?

bendoperations
Message 6 of 9 (772 Views)

I just was able to export specific contacts from my original database as a new database....everything works, the layout is what I want.....any issues with this?
Silver Contributor
jonmklub
Message 7 of 9 (768 Views)

NO NO NO, do this from within ACT, under the file menu is save copy and the option for an empty copy.

(866)710 4228

bendoperations
Message 8 of 9 (766 Views)

If I might ask....why not?
Silver Contributor
jonmklub
Message 9 of 9 (737 Views)

"There are 27 files associated with our original database. I have copied them all and pasted to the same Database folder."

basically this just overwrites your existing database. When you go to clean this up, you will delete all of your original data.  Messy, confusing, could lead to accidental deletion of your data due to identical file names.  Lots of extra work.

(866)710 4228