Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

XP or Windows 7 with ACT6

Re: XP or Windows 7 with ACT6

I will noty be upgrading Office. My Tech has said windows 7 will be installed but configured as XP so that there will be no conflict with Act6, etc. I would rather it operate at Windows 7 specs but if there is a potential conflict, XP is acceptable.

Back to my initial query, are there any known incompatibility issues between Act6 and Windows 7 that cannot be resolved (ignoring Office limitations) by a competent tech?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Nobody knows, there's been no extensive testing. For what it's worth, I was in ACT! tech support for over 10 years and have extensive experience with ACT! 6 and I would decline a request to troubleshoot ACT! 6 installed on Windows 7, even in XP mode.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

"windows 7 will be installed but configured as XP" ... this makes no sense. Unless you mean having it run ACT! is XP mode, which can even cause issues connection to the old versions of Office.

Unlike Roy, I wouldn't decline the request ... but I'd want payment up front and no guarantees of finding a solution if anything goes wrong

I'm operating ACT6 on a new Windows7 machine in XP mode.

I shortened the database recently when my calendar wouldn't update.

I took the file off of the Windows7 machine and put it back on the machine I formerly used, which operates on WindowsXP.

I couldn't see the difference between the behavior on the XP machine....and the Windows7 machine.

Somehow, the Windows7 environment managed to damage the ACT6 database?

Now I'm getting an error message:

ACT.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x7ca2a454" referenced memory at "0x02010203". The memory could not be "read".  Click on OK to terminate the program.

and another error message:

"Out of Memory"

From my experience with ACT! 6 you have a damaged database. An import into an empty copy might fix the problem otherwise database repair would be the only option.

IMHO any one that runs ACT! 6 on Windows 7, no matter how, is playing with fire and putting their database at risk.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I have been running Act 6 with Windows 7 (32 bit) for years smoothly. Recently, I installed Act 6 on Windows 7 (64 bit), with 500GB storage and 16G of memory.

I was unaware that I could do this until loading the software even though error messages popped up.

If it continues to function correctly, I wonder if all 16G of memory can be accessed?

If this continuous to be possible, then conceivably I can expand the server to 64G of memory with a 1TB of SSD storage for a multi user environment.

The hardware has caught up to making Act 6 a robust and reliable software, even after all these years.

Hi

Can I ask what sort of server OS and PCs you use ram cores etc

Appreciate it.