Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Platinum Elite Contributor
Roy_Laudenslage
Message 31 of 74 (2,068 Views)

Re: How to install ACT 5 or 6 in Windows 7

The particular problem is a very nasty one with several possible registry related causes. Anything specific that I ken about it when I was in tech support I've long since forgotten. There are some knowledge base documents related to the problem but they were written for Windows XP and I have no idea how they might apply to Vista or Windows 7. What I do recall is that it was the template extension that started the path through the registry but it was a path with many links.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Tech Benders
royel@techbenders.com
Please use plain text.
Copper Contributor
SuperNiceNina
Message 32 of 74 (2,050 Views)

Hi guys,

Does all this mean the the problem cannot be resolved..?

Curously I am running the same apps Win 7 x64 (albiet Home Premium) plus ACT6.0.3  Office XP 2002. All fully patched.

Very close to ruggb's set up which works a treat.

Only possible divergence from the straight and narrow is that I install my apps to F:\  preferring to leave C:\ as clear as possible for the OS.

I did try installing ACT to C:\ but it made no difference. Is there any logic in installing both MSOffice & ACT to C:\

Ruggb is correct that I not totally clued up but neither am I tollay clueless. I'm not frightened of regedit but is this problem something that is beyond  reasonable?

Would love to resolve it if humanly possible so I can get back to normality since getting a new machine. (BTW the old one died so I cannot go back.). The idea of dual booting has been considered but it will mean inconveninece as I switch back and forth. XP mode doesn't seem to be finding a lot of fans and I wonder if the problem would possibly still exist.

Thanks for your interests.

Please use plain text.
Copper Contributor
SuperNiceNina
Message 33 of 74 (2,050 Views)

hi Jon,

I'm one of those trying to get ACT6.0 (V6.0.3) running on Win7 x64. I have it running but it is not linking with Word (I have XP Office 2002).

I looked seriously at upgrading ACT in the first instance but then discovered it had, for my needs, been de-featured. What is missing for me (single licence single machine one man band) is the auto dial feature and the need to navigate to another location to bring up legacy documents. ACT6.0 was slick in both these respects. So why shell out out money to get less - for me.

I can live with the added complication of the legacy document location but I'm, really stuck with the dialer issue. If I've got to manually dial contacts why upgrade?

OR have I misunderstood the functionality in ACT12.0? Does ACT 12.0 work with Office2002 or will that need upgrading also?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
GLComputing
Message 34 of 74 (2,049 Views)

SuperNiceNina wrote:
I looked seriously at upgrading ACT in the first instance but then discovered it had, for my needs, been de-featured. What is missing for me (single licence single machine one man band) is the auto dial feature and the need to navigate to another location to bring up legacy documents. ACT6.0 was slick in both these respects. So why shell out out money to get less - for me.

Actually, you can dial from the later versions... pretty much the same as with ACT! 6

Not sure what you mean "navigate to another location"?

OR have I misunderstood the functionality in ACT12.0? Does ACT 12.0 work with Office2002 or will that need upgrading also?

As you can see, it works with Office XP (2002), 2003 and 2007 - http://www.act.com/2010/system/act/

Although, there are some known compatibility issues between Office XP (2003) and windows 7 that have nothing to do with ACT!... so it might be worthwhile looking to upgrade that as well

Please use plain text.
Copper Contributor
ruggb
Message 35 of 74 (2,046 Views)

OK - Y'all having issues.

I am running W7 x64 Ultimate - I don't believe the version makes a difference.

I also have all my programs and data files on DRIVE D: - System only files on drive C:

I am not using the dialer as I do not have a normal phone line, but I may try later just for kicks.

I am using Office 2007 which ACT6 does not recognize. I will load 2002 later just to verify.

When I click Write/Letter the ACT WP (which I have selected as the default WP) opens.

It will also open outside of ACT if I open it from a DOS window - ACTWP.WPI

If I create a WPA document and dbl clk it in windows explorer it will open the act wp with the document.

THEREFORE, to nail down your problem I suggest.

1. try to open actwp.wpi from a dos prompt. If that doesn't work actwp.wpi is missing.

NOTE you must do it as I detailed previously.

2. If it opens, create a WPA document, save it, close out and go to the file and dbl clk the wpa file.

If that doesn't work then links in the registry are broken.

3. If it still does not open from within ACT then other links in the reg are broken.

search the reg for ACTWP.WPI, ACT.DOCUMENT, WPA, and WPI

you will get a lot of false alarms on the last one.

here are some reg entries of mine for your comparison. good luck

If you have all these and it still doesn't work, then I have no further clues. This is all I can find relative to the issue in my system.

==============================

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ActWP.Document]
@="ActWP Document"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ActWP.Document\DefaultIcon]
@="D:\\PROGRA~1\\ACT!6~1\\actwp.wpi,0"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ActWP.Document\shell]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ActWP.Document\shell\open]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ActWP.Document\shell\open\command]
@="D:\\PROGRA~1\\ACT!6~1\\actwp.wpi \"%1\""
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ActWP.Document\shell\print]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ActWP.Document\shell\print\command]
@="D:\\PROGRA~1\\ACT!6~1\\actwp.wpi /p \"%1\""
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ActWP.Document\shell\printto]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ActWP.Document\shell\printto\command]
@="D:\\PROGRA~1\\ACT!6~1\\actwp.wpi /pt \"%1\" \"%2\" \"%3\" \"%4\""

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ActWP.Document]

@="ActWP Document"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ActWP.Document\DefaultIcon]

@="D:\\PROGRA~1\\ACT!6~1\\actwp.wpi,0"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ActWP.Document\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ActWP.Document\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ActWP.Document\shell\open\command]

@="D:\\PROGRA~1\\ACT!6~1\\actwp.wpi \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ActWP.Document\shell\print]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ActWP.Document\shell\print\command]

@="D:\\PROGRA~1\\ACT!6~1\\actwp.wpi /p \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ActWP.Document\shell\printto]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ActWP.Document\shell\printto\command]

@="D:\\PROGRA~1\\ACT!6~1\\actwp.wpi /pt \"%1\" \"%2\" \"%3\" \"%4\""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ActWP.Document]@="ActWP Document"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ActWP.Document\DefaultIcon]@="D:\\PROGRA~1\\ACT!6~1\\actwp.wpi,0"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ActWP.Document\shell]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ActWP.Document\shell\open]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ActWP.Document\shell\open\command]@="D:\\PROGRA~1\\ACT!6~1\\actwp.wpi \"%1\""
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ActWP.Document\shell\print]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ActWP.Document\shell\print\command]@="D:\\PROGRA~1\\ACT!6~1\\actwp.wpi /p \"%1\""
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ActWP.Document\shell\printto]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ActWP.Document\shell\printto\command]@="D:\\PROGRA~1\\ACT!6~1\\actwp.wpi /pt \"%1\" \"%2\" \"%3\" \"%4\""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{13F204D0-752F-11CE-93D5-0020AF1D7C99}]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{13F204D0-752F-11CE-93D5-0020AF1D7C99}\InprocHandler32]

@="ole32.dll"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{13F204D0-752F-11CE-93D5-0020AF1D7C99}\LocalServer32]

@="D:\\PROGRA~1\\ACT!6~1\\actwp.wpi"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{13F204D0-752F-11CE-93D5-0020AF1D7C99}\ProgID]

@="ActWrite"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Classes\CLSID\{13F204D0-752F-11CE-93D5-0020AF1D7C99}]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Classes\CLSID\{13F204D0-752F-11CE-93D5-0020AF1D7C99}\InprocHandler32]
@="ole32.dll"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Classes\CLSID\{13F204D0-752F-11CE-93D5-0020AF1D7C99}\LocalServer32]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Classes\CLSID\{13F204D0-752F-11CE-93D5-0020AF1D7C99}\ProgID]
@="ActWrite"
[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3408821709-519063416-2271823123-1001\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.wpa]
[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3408821709-519063416-2271823123-1001\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.wpa\OpenWithList]
[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3408821709-519063416-2271823123-1001\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.wpa\OpenWithProgids]
"ActWP.Document"=hex(0):
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{13F204D0-752F-11CE-93D5-0020AF1D7C99}]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{13F204D0-752F-11CE-93D5-0020AF1D7C99}\InprocHandler32]
@="ole32.dll"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{13F204D0-752F-11CE-93D5-0020AF1D7C99}\LocalServer32]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{13F204D0-752F-11CE-93D5-0020AF1D7C99}\ProgID]
@="ActWrite"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{AF30AC40-ABC6-11CE-8AC8-00AA001430B4}]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{AF30AC40-ABC6-11CE-8AC8-00AA001430B4}\LocalServer]
@="D:\\PROGRA~1\\ACT!6~1\\DrvWd6.wpi"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{AF30AC40-ABC6-11CE-8AC8-00AA001430B4}\ProgID]
@="Act.Word6Drv.1"
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.wpa]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.wpa\OpenWithList]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.wpa\OpenWithProgids]
"ActWP.Document"=hex(0):
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{AF30AC40-ABC6-11CE-8AC8-00AA001430B4}]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{AF30AC40-ABC6-11CE-8AC8-00AA001430B4}\LocalServer]
@="D:\\PROGRA~1\\ACT!6~1\\DrvWd6.wpi"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{AF30AC40-ABC6-11CE-8AC8-00AA001430B4}\ProgID]
@="Act.Word6Drv.1"
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.wpi]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.wpi\OpenWithList]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ActWrite]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ActWrite\CLSID]
@="{13F204D0-752F-11CE-93D5-0020AF1D7C99}"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.wpa]
@="ActWP.Document"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.wpa\ShellNew]
"NullFile"=""
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ActWrite]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ActWrite\CLSID]
@="{13F204D0-752F-11CE-93D5-0020AF1D7C99}"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.wpa]
@="ActWP.Document"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.wpa\ShellNew]
"NullFile"=""

Please use plain text.
Copper Contributor
SuperNiceNina
Message 36 of 74 (2,043 Views)

Hello Mike,

Would you mind clarifying your thought that you can get auto dial from ACT2010 please?

I pressed the UK sales and tech people on this and they told me I needed a PBX exchange to get autodial from ACT2010.

By autodial I am meaning in ACT 6.0 you click on a dial button in the icon bar (telephone handset with checker board background) and the program fired up a modem and dialed out. All I then needed to do was pick up the phone.  I have a standard telephone direct line to the world of copper courtesy of British Telecom, no PBX or anything else expensive. You have to configure ACT6.0 dialer first; Preferences > Dialer tab.

I also ran the on-line demo (three times with follow up conversations) and there was no sign of autodial... Does ACT2010 have an autodial function as you suggest and I describe?

'Navigate to anoter location'....I mean documents created in ACT6.0 present in the notes/history window. So if during a conversation the contact refers to a document they've received a quick click on the line entry in the history window pops it up on screen. In 2010 it is on another screen not directly below the contact details as in ACT6.0. So not quiet as slick...or have I misunderstood on that one also.

Many thanks.

Please use plain text.
Roy_Laudenslage
Message 37 of 74 (2,023 Views)

Ever since ACT! 3, the ACT! program didn't include it's own dialer rather it simply linked to the Windows TAPI dialer and passed the number to the Windows dialer and it actually did the dialing. ACT! 2005 didn't have the dialer link but it was restored in ACT! 2006 and has been in all the following versions. The first step in troubleshooting the ACT! dialing is to go to the Windows dialer and verify that it is working. If it doesn't work then there isn't any way that the ACT! dialing will work.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Tech Benders
royel@techbenders.com
Please use plain text.
Copper Contributor
SuperNiceNina
Message 38 of 74 (2,010 Views)

Hi Guys,

To all who have dug into this problem on my behalf I thank you most sincerely. A special thanks goes to ruggb who really did go the extra mile.

Every so often in life things happen that reinforces ones belief in mankind. This has been one of those moments. Thank you.

The problem is now solved...Word now pops up within ACT6.0.3 merges the address and lets me write letters etc. as normal. A history note is made and the document pops up for referral when I doble click the history entry.

Undoubtedly the curious amongst you will want to know what I did.

I guess the flip answer is engage my brain. Daunted by the process ruggb outlined and fresh from a good nights sleep I tried a few things that might avoid the registry turbulence.

Eventually I found Compatibility in ACT Preferences and set the mode to Windows XP SP3...! I had read up on Compatilbilty mode, and tried, but I was probably brain dead before. But honestly the Compatility route was not easy to find. I had to pin ACT to the Taskbar, click the taskbar icon then right click the ACT icon in the pop up...then I got to Properties with a Compatiliblty tab. The rest is history. I haven't found any other route that offered Compatibilty. Right clicking from the Start menu gets you ACT properties but without a Compatibilty tab.

Once again my sincere thanks ruggb and guys- you're the greatest. I apologise for testing you needlessly but you've scored 10/10. Good luck and take care, keep up the ACT.

Peter (aka SuperNiceNina - its to do with my daughter in law!)

PS If ever you are near Rutland (it is a lot smaller than Texas) in England let me know...I'd love to buy you a beer or two. peter@peterpacker.com

Please use plain text.
darylzero
Message 39 of 74 (1,991 Views)

[ Edited ]

".  It seems like you are spending a whold lot of time to save a couple of hundred bucks."

It can be waaay more than a couple hundred bucks some people may have 10 machines networked to act! and the cost of upgrading just one computer is easily $650 including the new version of act!  Now multiple that by 10 and it's costing you $6500 in hardware and software alone, then it's at least another $2000 for an act! Consultant to set everything up.

Not to mention the unbelievable hassle of upgrading from ver. 5 or 6 to a new version of act!.  If you have a customized layout it will cost another $2000 just for the consultant to get everything working.

Also, thank you    barassttiand ruggb !!!!!

Please use plain text.
GLComputing
Message 40 of 74 (1,971 Views)

darylzero wrote:

then it's at least another $2000 for an act! Consultant to set everything up.

Not to mention the unbelievable hassle of upgrading from ver. 5 or 6 to a new version of act!.  If you have a customized layout it will cost another $2000 just for the consultant to get everything working.

It certainly shouldn't cost anything like that unless the old data is damaged in same way.

See: http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2010/01/tips-for-converting-act-60-or-earlier.html

Please use plain text.