Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help Act 6.0 will not boot

Tuned Listener

Help Act 6.0 will not boot

My comp was in for repairs and updates and now Act 6.0 will not start.  I have disabled all anti virus, un-installed and reinstalled Act 6.0 and still it will not start. Any advice?
Bronze Contributor

Re: Help Act 6.0 will not boot

What do you get when you try and load the program?

What operating system and service pack do you have loaded?

What happens when you reload the software?

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Tuned Listener

Paul,

What do you get when you try and load the program? When I first start the pc the program starts to load for a few seconds, then stops.  When I try again nothing happens.  There is no screen activity.

What operating system and service pack do you have loaded?  XP and I am unclear about the serv pack.  Under downloads I found Window XP serv pack 2 & 3

What happens when you reload the software? The software reloads with no indication of error and the problem is unchanged

The pc was recently repaired and spyware updated.

Platinum Elite Contributor

You ay have a corrupted activity. Temporarily set the system clock back a couple of months and see if ACT! will then boot.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

To see if it's an issue with ACT!, or the database... can you move the database (a number or files with the same name in the database folder) to another location.

Then see if you get a different result.

Act! 6.0 Application has stopped working.

Tried moving the database, changing the clock, reinstalled 3 times and still it won't start.

Before that I did a database quick check and all was fine - except that the Index Files were not found!

7,825 records currently inaccessible!

Any help appreciated

Steve

With ACT! 6 the index files not found typically resulted from 1.) Renaming the DBF file only or 2.) moving the DBF file only to a new location without moving all 26 database files. The main contact records can be saved by creating a new database and imparting the DBF file as a dBase file however all notes and history would be lost. Another option is to restore a recent backup to a new location on the hard drive and try opening that.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

"Only if you can start it!

Seriously though, I started Act! on another machine (networked) and reindexed the database.

The problem is with my pc, where it won't even get to the opening screen  before Windows says "Act! 6.0 Application has stopped working."

I haven't changed anything else recently that I can think of, though it could be a Windows Update, or (less likely?) AVG Anti Virus or Spybot.

Steve