Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
DanITman
Message 1 of 6 (3,318 Views)

ACT 6.03 conversion to 2009 nightmare

So I have been working on an ACT6.03 conversion to the new 2009 version and it's been a real pain.  I've done a tone of troubleshooting and steps to make sure things go better.  Here is what I've done so far.  I'm just looking for what my next step should be.

1.) Ran ACTDIAG and made sure all errors were fixed ( I got all Green Checks)

2.) Removed all Cleared Activities that were older than 365 days

3.) Deleted users that were no longer active and assigned them to active users

4.) Compressed and reindexed.

Went through 2009 conversion (about 10 times) and it fails.  The error I got, can't remember it exactly.  It was some sort of SQL error about NULL Field or something like that.  I looked it up on these forums and people recommended that I create a blank version of my ACT 6.03 database and then import all the data into the blank database.  This is suppose to get rid of most of the errors people are having.

1.) Create Blank Database

2.) Import Existing Database into blank one.

3.) ACT freezes about 3/4 of the way through. I have to force quit the program.

I open up the new database that was created to find that only about 3/4 of my contacts were actually imported and the import failed for some reason.  Didn't see any type of log file generated so it's hard to figure out what is going on.

So what do I do next?  Any suggestions would be great.

P.S.. The Act conversion process for converting older databases into the new SQL database is not designed very well.  I have many custom fields and if it fails you have to start from the beginning.  There is no way to save the mappings that you have done if the conversion fails.  This is poorly designed in my mind but maybe I'm the only one with a large amount of custom fields.

Please use plain text.
Platinum Elite Contributor
Roy_Laudenslage
Message 2 of 6 (3,314 Views)

Re: ACT 6.03 conversion to 2009 nightmare

Your database has internal corruption. As none of the available tools available for use in the field don't fix the problem, your best option is database repair service.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Tech Benders
royel@techbenders.com
Please use plain text.
DanITman
Message 3 of 6 (3,299 Views)

[ Edited ]

If the database has corruptions then why does it work fine??  You think they would have better tools to search for these corruptions?  Any suggestions on database repair services?

Can you recommend any tools to help look for the spot that is corrupt?  

Message Edited by DanITman on 05-13-2009 12:50 PM
Please use plain text.
Roy_Laudenslage
Message 4 of 6 (3,291 Views)

DanITman wrote:

If the database has corruptions then why does it work fine??  

It doesn't work fine, it won't copy to an empty database or convert to ACT! 2009. In your normal use you aren't encountering the corruption but it's there.

Can you recommend any tools to help look for the spot that is corrupt?  

You've used all the tools available. Send me a private message if you would like a referral to a repair service. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Tech Benders
royel@techbenders.com
Please use plain text.
Copper Contributor
RickyL
Message 5 of 6 (3,261 Views)

I had the same issues so got my money back and decided to stick with. 6.03 as it works great and never any problems.
Please use plain text.
GLComputing
Message 6 of 6 (3,203 Views)

The ACT! 6.0 database could operate with some corruption that might not cause any obvious signs unless you did something that his that area. Obviously the conversion needs to read it all.

Ricky, the problem is that it could gradually get worse till it becomes very difficult to repair. Getting it repaired is important, even if not planning to upgrade... at least make sure you keep plenty of backups.

I'd recommend Kim at http://www.techbenders.com/ for the most reliable repair.

Please use plain text.