Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Mark Serva
Message 1 of 6 (338 Views)

ACT! 2.8 (Mac) and/or ACT! 2000 (PC) TO: SageACT!, any suggestions?

Call me a Luddite yet I started out with 1stACT! a decade ago and to date my best and most dependable version of ACT! has been 2.8, mostly I suspect because it resides on my old Mac (pre-Intel) running Tiger 10.4x and System9 just for ACT! 2.8. 

Also, I am running the same database in ACT! 2000 on my PC with WindowXP Pro (it's dragging a leg at best while, knock on wood, my Mac has never even limped). Both Op. Systems are no longer supported.

I have the same database on both of about 5,000 contacts and mostly am concerned about the Notes moving to the new database. That seems to be the problem with the old ACT!s scorched Earth policy--if you'll excuse the phraseology. 

Someday I need to convert these databases into something that can be supported by either Apple of Microsoft (as I'm not smart enough for Linux). Over the years I have bought thousands of dollars of licensed copies of ACT! for myself and for others. Stopped at 2000 because every new iteration of the software seemed to be more problematic (some just unworkable) than the prior. So, if you guys like the new version of SageACT! AND have an idea how I could migrate data I'd sure appreciate some advice.

Also, I am falling in love with my iPod Touch so if any of the new stuff would be compatible I'd be thrilled. Thanks much for reading this--I hope I didn't waste your time, Mark

Mark Serva
Message 2 of 6 (337 Views)

Re: ACT! 2.8 (Mac) and/or ACT! 2000 (PC) TO: SageACT!, any suggestions?

P.S. I sure hope Sage re-considers making a version for Mac in the future, because, IMHO PC's are not dependable enough to run a business. Unless, of course, one's business if fixing computers. No offense to all you folks fixing PC's--hey it's a living.
Platinum Elite Contributor
Roy_Laudenslage
Message 3 of 6 (328 Views)

Conversion of ACT! 2000 to the current version of the ACT! program isn't a real problem though it would be best to convert the ACT! 2000 to the ACT! 6 trial to do cleanup on the ACT! database. 

As to a native ACT! version of the MAC, not likely and not very soon if it were to happen. It would have to be a completely seperate program because ACT! 2005 and later is built on the Microsoft .NET Framework and uses Microsoft SQL for a database engine.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Tech Benders
royel@techbenders.com
rockyromero
Message 4 of 6 (310 Views)

Consider a MAC running Windows 7 with ACT software. I use VMWARE on the MAC Lion OSX for multiple desktops and ACT v6. Works great.
Platinum Elite Contributor
GLComputing
Message 5 of 6 (309 Views)
Mark Serva
Message 6 of 6 (305 Views)

Thanks much. All seems well thought and working. Thanks for carrying the message!