Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
db
Copper Contributor
db
Message 1 of 27 (13,858 Views)

Windows 7 is compatible with Act! 2009?

Windows 7 is compatible with witch version of Act!
Please use plain text.
Platinum Elite Contributor
GLComputing
Message 2 of 27 (13,851 Views)
Please use plain text.
Nickel Elite Contributor
rbrust
Message 3 of 27 (13,808 Views)

Re: Windows 7 is compatible with Act! 2009?

I've installed ACT! 2009 v11 on Windows 7 64 bit machine and all went just fine...
Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com
Please use plain text.
GLComputing
Message 4 of 27 (13,807 Views)

Just as a small point... VMWare had to do an update for using Windows 7 as a host due to issues with the Release of Windows 7 that weren't issues with the betas and RC versions.

While VMWare needs far more hooks in the OS than ACT! does, it does show that some apps that were fine with the betas might need to be tweaked with the release code if and when any issues are found.

While I've also seen ACT! 2009 installed to Win7 systems, if any issues are found they are unlikely to be fixed for the older versions.

Please use plain text.
Nickel Elite Contributor
MMcFadden
Message 5 of 27 (13,790 Views)

Couple things worth mentioning in this thread.

The VMware Workstation on a host of Windows 7 had issues with networking via the virtual network adapter.  This was to have been addressed in VMware Workstation 6.5.3, which is a free update to any licensed users of 6.x VMware Workstation.

While we are glad to hear that folks aren't running into any major stumbling blocks installing on Windows 7 with version 11.x of ACT!, I can tell you that the machines this is installing upon must already have MS Office installed (or possibly another office / mail application).  True statement?

Windows 7 no longer contains a mail client component such as Outlook Express (XP) / Windows Mail (Vista).  They (MS) want you to use there MSN / Microsoft Live internet mail client now.  Because of this omission, there is no longer a MAPI subsystem on the default OS. 

Upon installation of ACT! 11.x, there are components that are registered against MAPI, which obviously are no longer available.  The result during installation is an annoying message indicating there is no default email client available.  You will also get this message using the program after the install anywhere that may affect email functionality.

Now ACT! 11.x product is NOT certified with Windows 7 and likely never will be, however, if you choose this environment in which to host ACT!, your best practice is to install MS Office FIRST (it lays down MAPI), then install your ACT! 11.x product.

I will also point out this is all true for Windows Server 2008 R2, which is actually the server version of Windows 7.  I don't know why they called it that, as it will be confusing to folks in my opinion.

thanks

Matthew McFadden
Please use plain text.
Nickel Elite Contributor
rbrust
Message 6 of 27 (13,736 Views)

Matthew -

This is a perfect time for you to walk in to whoever's office you need to and tell them that THERE ARE MANY MAIL CLIENTS AND SERVERS THAT DO NOT USE PORT 25 AND 110 ANY MORE.  It's time for ACT! to add the ability to connect (inbound and outbound) to other ports than 25 and 110.

By golly, you'll be a hero!

:-)

Richard Brust
Please use plain text.
GLComputing
Message 7 of 27 (13,732 Views)

This is a perfect time for you to walk in to whoever's office you need to and tell them that THERE ARE MANY MAIL CLIENTS AND SERVERS THAT DO NOT USE PORT 25 AND 110 ANY MORE.  It's time for ACT! to add the ability to connect (inbound and outbound) to other ports than 25 and 110.

Have you tried http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/05/using-act-internet-mail-client-with-non.html

Please use plain text.
Nickel Elite Contributor
rbrust
Message 8 of 27 (13,712 Views)

Yes, and about a half-dozen other port forwarders/tunnellers/etc out there.  Not only don't they work, most are difficult to impossible for the average ACT! end user to attempt to setup, and not something I'd ever suggest a user install.

Since it takes approximately 5 lines of code for me to write a plug-in to send mail via GMail, I can't believe it's that hard for a room full of developers...

Richard Brust
Please use plain text.
GLComputing
Message 9 of 27 (13,669 Views)

Please use plain text.
RonWhinery
Message 10 of 27 (12,651 Views)

If MS Office is already installed when upgrading to Windows 7, will reinstalling Act! 2009 allow Internet Mail to then be set up and used?
Please use plain text.