Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Matthew311
Message 1 of 10 (1,650 Views)

Missing windows xp sp3 for installation

One of our users of our ACT premium 2010 software is unable to install ACT on their laptop. During the install it gives the error that we need to install windows xp service pack 3, but the laptop had windows vista home on it. So we tried installing xp sp3 on it, and of course it didnt install because its for xp and it only supports 32-bit processors (the laptop has a 64-bit one)

The vista machine had vista sp2 on it, so we were pretty stumped. Installed windows 7 home upgrade on it, still doesnt work. 

So do we need to just do a fresh install of windows 7?

Please use plain text.
Platinum Super Contributor
gmartin
Message 2 of 10 (1,601 Views)

Re: Missing windows xp sp3 for installation

[ Edited ]

Hello Matthew311,

Welcome to the Act! Online Community!

It could be that the setup.exe file is set to Compatibility Mode for XP SP3.  Here is an article describing how to correct it: Doest Not Have Service Pack 3 Applied message

(updated link)

Message Edited by gmartin on 05-25-2010 08:29 AM
Greg Martin
Sage
Please use plain text.
Matthew311
Message 3 of 10 (1,585 Views)

That link says access denied for me. 

I had looked at the compatibility before in vista, and there wasn't an option for xp sp3.    

Please use plain text.
gmartin
Message 4 of 10 (1,581 Views)

I apologize for that - here is a link for external use: Your XP machine does not have Service Pack 3 applied
Greg Martin
Sage
Please use plain text.
Astute Commentator
Phil11514
Message 5 of 10 (1,454 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello --

I am experiencing the same problem. I followed the link to the Suggested Fix, i.e.:

Error: "Your XP machine does not have Service Pack 3 applied..." When Attempting to Install ACT! by Sage on a Windows Vista® or Windows® 7 Computer

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2607...

Unfortunately, the proposed fix was of no help to me at all.

1) I did indeed locate the setup.exe file.

2) I did indeed right-click and select Properties.

3) When I did so, however, I saw that the Run this program in compatibility mode for: box was NOT checked - it was cleared already.

I am left with the same problem on Installation as before, and the fix suggested appears to be at a dead end.

Any help that you or anyone else can provide, would be very, very greatly appreciated.

[Edit: removed personal contact info. Please use Private Messages to relay personal contact info]

Please use plain text.
Platinum Elite Contributor
ghollister
Message 6 of 10 (1,434 Views)

Hello Phil,
Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. To resolve this issue, you can attempt to bypass the system checker by renaming the system checker file.
- Use Windows Explorer (My Computer) to browse your installation disk or download file.
- Browse to the Dependencies folder, locate the folder called "PreReq" and rename it to "PreReqOLD"
- Run the ACT! installation

Greig Hollister
Sage

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software

Please use plain text.
TU
TU
Message 7 of 10 (824 Views)

I have the same problem, and when through all the steps including renaming the PreReq file, but when I go to install ACT, I still get an error message stating: Sage ACT! is not compatible with operating system.  I am using Windows 7 - Home version and I would like to install ACT! Premium (via web).

I start this installation at my office, and I am finishing it at my home (but still on my laptop).  Does that make a difference if I am on a different wireless network?

Please use plain text.
gmartin
Message 8 of 10 (816 Views)

Hello TU,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!

The message is correct, ACT! Premium (via Web) is not compatible with the Windows 7 Home edition.  Assuming you are using ACT! 2011, with the purchase you should have 2 disks: 1. Premium (via Web), and 2. Premium (via Windows).  You will need to use the 'Via Windows' disk to install.

'Via Web' requires a more robust version of IIS than Windows 7 Home provides.

Greg Martin
Sage
Please use plain text.
mhalsband
Message 9 of 10 (599 Views)

Hello

I tried the two solutions recommended for the error message   “Your XP machine does not have Service Pack 3 applied…” when reinstalling ActPro 2011 on a Win7 Pro 64 bit system.

The compatibility fix as described under Answer ID 26077 did not work.

I also tried renaming the PreReq file to PreReqold.

Any other suggestions on how to fix this problem?

ActPro 2011 had been previously running without a problem on my Win7 machine.

When I received an error message I decided to uninstall and reinstall and this is when the issue began.

Please use plain text.
Copper Contributor
pleap
Message 10 of 10 (592 Views)

I don't know if it's any coincidence but I once had an issue with a proprietary program that was running on a laptop with XP Home. It ran quite well but one "Patch Tuesday" it stopped. I did the whole routine... uninstall the program and reinstall. I ended up formatting the drive . The program ran perfectly until XP updated itself. After conferring with the software developers the general opinion was that the software was no longer compatible with the Home version and the system requirements were changed. Since then I look at any Home version with a great deal of suspicion.

Please use plain text.