Copper Contributor
jutamind
Message 1 of 4 (2,640 Views)

Log file grows very big after doing Check Database

I'm using ACT! 2005 Premium. Recently I did a Check Database using act7diag program. The database log file then grew to excessive size (>30GB). However, after the check database, i can still use the database as per normal.

After the log size grew exponentially, i also did a SQL Diagnostics (SQLDiag) and found the error saying the log file is full.

I tried to reduce the log file size by manually doing backup from ACT! program but the size still remain the same. I did have the same problem and the only way i can resolve this is to save the database as another copy. But then if i do this,i will to recreate to remote db all over again, which is what i'm trying to avoid.

Appreciate it if you could help me. I found nothing in the community and in the KB.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Platinum Elite Contributor
GLComputing
Message 2 of 4 (2,600 Views)

Re: Log file grows very big after doing Check Database

I found this ACT! Knowledge Base article for ACT! 2006 (don't think applies for ACT! 2005) -
http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1811...

Did you also to a Reindex in ACT7Diag? Unlike check, I think this can reduce the ALF

I've seen ALF's get huge if there are remotes that are "orphaned" - i.e. no longer syncing and never going to. Removing them from the sync panel will greatly reduce the ALF file.

If that doesn't work, check the SQL database "Recovery Model" - listed both in ActDiag and Help>About>Database Info.
It's listed as Database Options and should include "SIMPLE Recovery".  If it's anything else, the db may have been attached and/or altered manually.
Try detaching it in ActDiag, then open the .ADF file with ACT!.

If they don't help, the only option with ACT! 2005 would be to Save Copy As and recreate the remotes.

You really should upgrade... later versions of ACT! are so much faster, more stable abd with so many extra functions, you'll find it well worth it

Please use plain text.
Copper Contributor
jutamind
Message 3 of 4 (2,586 Views)

Hi,

I didnt change the CopyData settings in ACTDiag tool, so i guess that was not the reason.

I couldnt find the Recovery Model in act7diag and database info. maybe this is not available in ACT! 7. By looking at Database Info, i can see that the Sync record size is much much bigger compared to sizes of other records like security, contact, activity etc.

I tried detaching and open the ADF but it doesnt work.Couldnt reindex now due to log size is full.

The thing i realized that if i backup manually from ACT! apps, the backup size is only 200MB++, but the log size is still not truncated.

Please use plain text.
Platinum Elite Contributor
GLComputing
Message 4 of 4 (2,580 Views)

Then, I think the only option is to Save a new copy and re-create the remotes.

It would be REALLY worth considering upgrading to the current version - it MUCH faster, more stable, lots of great features. It's better in every way.

Please use plain text.