Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
hususer
Message 1 of 27 (3,485 Views)

Deleting former employee contact

Hi - I am having trouble erasing a contact from ACT 2009 Premium that was a former ACT user.  I have followed the prompts asking to reassign the user's contacts to another user.  When it asks if I would like to remove the contact I hit yes however when I go back to the contact list they are still there! :smileysad:   The 'delete contact' option is greyed out when I right click on the contact.  Are there any dependencies I need to remove before I can erase the user contact? 

Please use plain text.
Platinum Elite Contributor
ghollister
Message 2 of 27 (3,455 Views)

Re: Deleting former employee contact

First, I would check you user list under Tools/Manage Users and make sure that contact name is not associated with another user. If this is not the case, then try running maintenance on the database as you may have a damaged username.

- Go to Tools/Database Maintenance/Check & Repair...run this utility twice in a row

- Next, make sure you are physically at the machine hosting the database

- From this machine, go to your Windows Start button, choose Run, and type in actdiag

- When ACT! Diagnostics opens, go to Database/Database List, then highlight your database on the list

- Right-click on your database and select Database Rebuilds...you will see several rebuild options. You will want to do the first three on the list, one at a time.

Greig Hollister
Sage

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software

Please use plain text.
Ravenskya
Message 3 of 27 (3,426 Views)

I am having the same issue - our database is housed on a server at a different location.  We all have remote databases that synch several times through the day.  I am set up as the Administrator but for some reason cannot remove our ex-employees. 

I have checked and repaired the database then followed all of the instructions detailed below, but still cannot delete the users in question.  The option to "delete user" is greyed out.  I had previously reassigned all of their contacts to other users and told it to delete - but they never went away.

Please use plain text.
hususer
Message 4 of 27 (3,424 Views)

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately the rebuild of the database did not work.

Please use plain text.
Roy_Laudenslage
Message 5 of 27 (3,410 Views)

User modifications must be done at the server, they can't be done on a remote database.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Tech Benders
royel@techbenders.com
Please use plain text.
hususer
Message 6 of 27 (3,408 Views)

Im physically at the main database trying to remove the associated contact with the deleted user.  The delete option is still greyed out.
Please use plain text.
ghollister
Message 7 of 27 (3,406 Views)

Have you verified from the user list that the contact name is not associated with any users?

Greig Hollister
Sage

Please use plain text.
hususer
Message 8 of 27 (3,404 Views)

No the contact is not associated with any username.  The user that the contact was associated with has been deleted several days ago.  Currently the database is working in unlocked mode... would maybe switching it to locked do the trick?  This would have to be done after hours however i would like your opinion on this first.
Please use plain text.
ghollister
Message 9 of 27 (3,399 Views)

You can certainly try that as it would give you exclusive access to the database. You may also want to try creating a new user from that contact record, logging in as that user, log out, log back in as Administrator user, and then deleting that user. The original record may just have not deleted properly.

Greig Hollister
Sage

Please use plain text.
Astute Commentator
delbcj
Message 10 of 27 (519 Views)

[ Edited ]

hususer wrote:
Im physically at the main database trying to remove the associated contact with the deleted user.  The delete option is still greyed out.

The reason your delete user is still greyed out is that you haven't disabled the user first, the option directly above delete user. Then it should become available. 

This disable user acts as like a last ditch effort to allow them to sync to the database. Deleting them right off would not allow this.

Please use plain text.