Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Am trying to restore a back-up version of ACT! but keep getting an error message

Copper Contributor

Re: Am trying to restore a back-up version of ACT! but keep getting an error message

Okay, thanks for that very helpful advice.

I'll give that a try and will let you know how I get on - that will likely be tomorrow.

Grant.

Copper Contributor

Re: Am trying to restore a back-up version of ACT! but keep getting an error message

Hi Grant

May I ask - why are you restoring the database. Are you wanting to create a separate database or replace your existing one? (or something else)

Glenn

Glenn Lye
glye@crmdata.co.uk
07827 643672
Copper Contributor

How did you get on Grant?

Glenn Lye
glye@crmdata.co.uk
07827 643672
Copper Contributor

Hi Glenn,

The 'restore' worked perfectly, thank you.

As you advised, I saved it to the CSmiley Very Happyrive and it all went smoothly.

Am not sure what the .alf file is, though, or the PAD file - both shown in the image below.

The reason I'm doing this is because a contact was mistakenly deleted from the 'live' database. But I believe it's possible to export a single contact from an archived database into the 'live' database - that's the next step in this task!

It's the first time I've done this task, and your advice has been spot-on.

Grant.

act-alf-file.jpg

Highlighted
Solution
Accepted by topic author grantmillar
a week ago
Copper Contributor

Hi Grant

The file structure you have there is normal.

The .PAD file for your ACT! database contains no Contact, Company or Group data. The file is simply a pointer to the file which does contain your data.

The .ALF file is a SQL transactional log file, that track activities between ACT! and SQL.

You can indeed export a single contact.

Glad this worked.

You can follow us on Twitter @ActCRMData  and www.crmdata.co.uk.

Take care.

Oh - could you mark the post as solved . Many thanks.

Glenn Lye
glye@crmdata.co.uk
07827 643672
Copper Contributor

Hi Glenn,

Thank you for explaining that.

I've learned a lot about ACT! over the last 24 hours!

More than happy to mark the post as solved.

Thanks, again, for your help.

Best regards,
Grant.

Copper Contributor

Hi Grant

It's a pleasure - many thanks.

Glenn Lye
glye@crmdata.co.uk
07827 643672