Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Am trying to restore a back-up version of ACT! but keep getting an error message

Accepted Solution Solved
Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Am trying to restore a back-up version of ACT! but keep getting an error message

Hi,

I've been trying to restore a back-up version of ACT!, but just keep getting an error message dialog box - I've included the error message below. I've tried 3 times to restore it.

It's Act! Premium Version 18.2.53.0, Update 2, running on Windows 7 and Windows 10 computers.

Has anyone experienced this problem?

Grant.

act-restore-failure-graphic-cropped.jpg

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author grantmillar
2 weeks ago
Copper Contributor

Re: Am trying to restore a back-up version of ACT! but keep getting an error message

Hi Grant

The file structure you have there is normal.

The .PAD file for your ACT! database contains no Contact, Company or Group data. The file is simply a pointer to the file which does contain your data.

The .ALF file is a SQL transactional log file, that track activities between ACT! and SQL.

You can indeed export a single contact.

Glad this worked.

You can follow us on Twitter @ActCRMData  and www.crmdata.co.uk.

Take care.

Oh - could you mark the post as solved . Many thanks.

Glenn Lye
glye@crmdata.co.uk
07827 643672

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Contributor

Re: Am trying to restore a back-up version of ACT! but keep getting an error message

Hi Grant Are you trying to restore onto the same machine where the backup was performed?

grantmillar wrote:

Hi,

I've been trying to restore a back-up version of ACT!, but just keep getting an error message dialog box - I've included the error message below. I've tried 3 times to restore it.

It's Act! Premium Version 18.2.53.0, Update 2, running on Windows 7 and Windows 10 computers.

Grant.

grantmillar wrote:

Hi,

Grant.

Glenn Lye
glye@crmdata.co.uk
07827 643672
Copper Contributor

Hi There,

Yes, it's the same machine where the backup was performed?

Grant.

Copper Contributor

Hi Grant

What version of Act! ?

Is this a single user database?

Glenn Lye
glye@crmdata.co.uk
07827 643672
Copper Contributor

Act! Premium Version 18.2.53.0, Update 2.

No, not single user - we have 24 users on the database.

Copper Contributor

Ok

I assume that the database is on a server. Are you actually performing the restore ON the server?

Glenn Lye
glye@crmdata.co.uk
07827 643672
Copper Contributor

Well, it's on one of our shared drives.

So, I'm trying to save it to the same shared drive, but in a different folder and with a different file name.

Copper Contributor

Hi Grant

The SQL service is most likely running as ‘Local System’. The local system account doesn’t have access to network locations. H:\ is a network location. You can only restore to a local drive (C:,D: etc) which the local system account has access to, not a mapped drive on another server. You would have to run ACT! on whichever machine H:\ is on and restore from there. Hope that makes sense.

Glenn Lye
glye@crmdata.co.uk
07827 643672
Copper Contributor

Hi again,

Okay. So if I share it to a specially created folder on the CSmiley Very Happyrive (i.e. the area where the 'Program Files' are kept), then that should work? Is that right?

Thanks for being so helpful (and patient!) on this - it's much appreciated.

Grant.

Copper Contributor

Hi Grant - no problem.

Yes, if you restore to a folder in C:/ that should be fine.

Glenn Lye
glye@crmdata.co.uk
07827 643672