Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! v19 and failure to recognize the Office 64-bit interface HRESULT: 0x80040155

Copper Contributor

Act! v19 and failure to recognize the Office 64-bit interface HRESULT: 0x80040155

I have been attempting to get Act! v19, update 3 applied, to run with Word 2016 64bit (I've never subjected my outlook database to an integration with my Act! database) just to get short letters and envelopes out of Act! Premium v19.

DOES NOT WORK as represented in the promotional materials touting the virtues of why we should buy the upgrade. The subscription model is great, you just collect and updates can remain vaporware whilst the consuming public awaits the great rollout promised in exchange for signing up for a renewal. Okay, Snarky is finished. Now the problem:

I get this error message upon opening any Act! template under Premium for Web v19 running on Windows 10 Pro 64bit with Word 2016 64bit:

Unable to cast COM object of type 'Microsoft.Office.lnterop.Word.ApplicationClass' to interface type 'Microsoft.Office.lnterop.Word._Appljcation'. This operation failed because the Querylnterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{00020970-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}' failed due to the following error: Interface not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040155).

Is there something missing to get it to work? When I install Word 2016 32bit (after going through all the uninstall and reinstall process for both Act! and Office365), it works. Letters and envelopes are gorgeous. I'm pretty sure it would work with Outlook as well.

I've read some posts and for me, the "click to run" distinction does not exist. Installing from the internet and not from a disk or MSI is not necessary to get Word 2016 (from Office 365) to work in 32bit.

So what gives? Is it mapped incorrectly or the interface not registered with Act! unless you get the magic copy?

I need to run the 64bit for something else, not necessarily for Act!, but you can only have one version of Office installed at a time. My work requires me to work on a huge spreadsheet in Excel daily for a few minutes. It should not require me to uninstall Office 32bit to reinstall Office 64bit because Act! (represented to work with 64bit versions of Office 2010, 2013 and 2016, by the way) cannot work with Word, so the 32bit has to be installed if anything is to be done using Act!. 

Does anyone else experience this message when attempting to run Act! v19 Premium (web or windows) in an Office 64-bit environment?

Any answers as to how it works for Swiftpage but not for my law office?

Thanks,

Ed 

Employee

Re: Act! v19 and failure to recognize the Office 64-bit interface HRESULT: 0x80040155

Hi Beb

After installing the 64-bit version of Office did you uninstall ACT! Reboot the PC and re-install ACT?

Thanks

Cam Mortimer
------------------------------------
Customer Success Team

A NOTE REGARDING DIRECT ASSISTANCE: I am unable to offer any direct assistance over private message. All questions should be posted publicly in the appropriate community boards. Private message should only be used for the exchange of private information.
Copper Contributor

Re: Act! v19 and failure to recognize the Office 64-bit interface HRESULT: 0x80040155

Thanks for noticing the post!

The process was to uninstall Act! v18, uninstall Office 365 (2016) 32bit, reboot, reinstall Office 365 (2016) 64bit, reboot, run Office 365 (2016) 64bit Word, Outlook and Excel to assure no problems with the install, reboot, reinstall Act! v19, reboot, run Act! v19 until database was updated to run on new version, reboot, attempt to create a mail-merged document from a known working Act! v18 template created in Word, then the error occurs. 2nd attempt to run, error still occurs.

Reverse all of the above steps and do them again, error still occurs.

Reverse all of the above and do them again, but this time after testing Office 365 (2016) 64bit install, run Office 365 (2016) Repair (long version) and proceed with remaining steps. Error still occurs.

Uninstall all that and reinstall but this time use 32bit Office 365 (2016), gorgeous output from the mail merge, not unlike what I had experienced with Act! v18.

In each install, the folders formerly holding the installed software were deleted "as administrator" so no remnants of files should have been a problem. In addition, each installation file was re-downloaded each time so any errors in downloading would have been controlled for in the second test.

More than you asked for, but that's the process.... TWICE, so it is repeatable on the same machine, and on two different machines running side by side, so it is repeatable across multiple machines. Each machine was running the most recent version of Windows 10 Pro 64bit on top of the most recent version of Parallels 12 Pro, on top of the most recent version of OS X Sierra, on an i7 4-core MacBook (Fall 13 Model A1398, Fall 16 Model A1707). It all works using Act! v18 and Office 365 (2016) 32bit, so the testbed machines should have had no bearing on the outcome. The sole distinction is running Office 365 (2016) 64bit. Identical results were obtained following these procedures on an iMac (Fall 2014 5k Retina) with the same software configurations.

Hope this helps!

Thanks again,

Ed

Employee

Hi Beb 

Thank you for listing the steps taken.

I am going to raise a defect on our side to test this further.

Please provide the current information so we can replicate the issue 

Full build number of ACT! v19 

Full build of Windows 10 Pro 

Full build number of Office 

Version of Parallels running 

Thanks again 

Cam Mortimer
------------------------------------
Customer Success Team

A NOTE REGARDING DIRECT ASSISTANCE: I am unable to offer any direct assistance over private message. All questions should be posted publicly in the appropriate community boards. Private message should only be used for the exchange of private information.
Copper Contributor

Here's what you requested:

Full Build Number of Act! v19:  Act! Premium Version 19.0.147.0. (update 3)

Full build of Windows 10 Pro:  Windows 10 Pro Version 1607 OS Build 14393.693 64-bit Operating System, X64-based processor

Full Build number of Office:  16.0.7668.7059 is the build number for the 32 bit version, I do not have a 64bit installed at the moment.

Version of Parallels running: 12.1.2 (41525)

Thanks!

Ed

Employee

Thanks for proving that information 

I have passed that on for further testing.

We will update with the results or a defect number shortly 

Thanks again for the information.

Copper Contributor

So is there a fix for this issue yet?

Thanks!

Ed

Employee

Not as yet I'm afraid.

As soon as we have an update on the pending defect I will update this thread.

Employee

Hi 

This has been tested in house and we are unable to replicate the issue.

That would suggest there is a issue within your specific environment.

Copper Contributor

Thanks for getting back to me on the issue. Now I've noticed this thread had been viewed 337 times earlier today, so I suspect there may be more interest in this issue than just my interest. Therefore, I ask the Community, Does anyone else experience any issue whatsoever with making Act! 19 work with Word 2016 64bit on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit installation?

Thank you for your support.