tonykroboth
Message 1 of 5 (4,919 Views)

Act 2008 and Slow Performance.

The new act is running painfully slow on our network compared to the prior 2006 version. All workstations are running Intel Quad Core 2.4GHZ with 4GB of RAM on Vista 32 bit.

I have enabled the act network sync service and linked our database file to it on the server and the workstations.

Moving between anything seems to take 5-30 seconds compared to being instant back in act 2006.

Is there some setting that we are not configuring correctly? How can we improve this terribly slow performance speeds in our database.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Copper Elite Contributor
kquigley
Message 2 of 5 (4,901 Views)

Re: Act 2008 and Slow Performance.

It's not clear to me why the network service was installed or running.

If this database is on a LAN, why are the workstations not configured to run off a single database across the LAN?

If it is, the sync service is not required, and should be removed, although this will not significantly improve performance.

The hardware you described is exceedingly adequate to run ACT across a LAN at optimal speed.

Have you installed any Internet security software like Norton 360, Norton Internet Security, or any McAfee Security products?

Are you accessing the central database through a mapped network drive or a UNC path to the database?

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca
Please use plain text.
Copper Elite Contributor
JM
Message 3 of 5 (4,900 Views)

[ Edited ]

There is a known fact 2007 and up is slower than 2006 because the whole DB engine and such changed to MS SQL and nothing can be done. It's not a Vista cause for the most part.

Vista does use more more memory than XP Pro and I have notice with Vista App's doing File Open of files accessing shared network folders a lag time.

What verison of ACT! 2008 and Network Sync Service are you running and what VPN did you setup?

Current is 10.0.3 released July 9th (read the KB about all systems must run same verison ACT) and offers some improvements and fixes for Network Sync services. see Answer ID 22845 for link to download ACT 10.0.3 SP than go to download center and select for the third dialog "N/A" to see the ACT! Network Sync (10.0.3) don't know why there's two there but there the same. FYI if after ACT update Help About shows Premium 10.0.3 ST and you had EX don't worry there is a display bug in ACT.  To confirm, run ACTDIAG to view DB SQL engine version.  Also after update of Network Sync if it still shows 10.0.2 that to is a known random bug but is OK.  Only solution if you want to to show 10.0.3 is to uninstall the service after asking (as I did) SAGE for the download link (I can't give it out) for ACT 10.0.3 full installer that includes Network Sync.

How many Contacts and Company records?

What is file size of DB file "name.ADF"?

If you are having workstations access the DB over network you setup a shared Folder? If so do a back up than Restore As copy to local drive of workstation and check out performance. This will help to see if a network issue is another part of performance.

Dissconnect all mapped drive letters on workstation to see if let's say WORD File Open DOC on local drive is better after disconnect.

If you did a convert form 2006 to 2008 check out ACT Answer ID# 14349

Good Luck,

JM

Message Edited by jm on 07-18-2008 05:44 PM
Please use plain text.
Platinum Elite Contributor
GLComputing
Message 4 of 5 (4,869 Views)

jm wrote:

There is a known fact 2007 and up is slower than 2006 because the whole DB engine and such changed to MS SQL and nothing can be done. It's not a Vista cause for the most part.

That would be 6.0, not 2006

Please use plain text.
Platinum Elite Contributor
GLComputing
Message 5 of 5 (4,867 Views)

tonykroboth wrote:

The new act is running painfully slow on our network compared to the prior 2006 version. All workstations are running Intel Quad Core 2.4GHZ with 4GB of RAM on Vista 32 bit.

The most important spec for ACT! speed is usually the hard drive speed (in RPM)

I have enabled the act network sync service and linked our database file to it on the server and the workstations.

As Ken said... why are you using sync instead of sharing?

Moving between anything seems to take 5-30 seconds compared to being instant back in act 2006.

Did you mean ACT! 2006 or ACT! 6.0?

Maybe try this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/59k853. Except I would set the Page File Initial and Maximum figures to 2GB (defrag before changing this)

Please use plain text.