Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Copper Contributor
vacogroup
Message 1 of 10 (1,486 Views)

ACT Premium 2011 for Web on Home Windows Workgroup

I need some assistance or to be pointed to a walk-through for this....

So far I've setup ACT Premium for Web on a home based WORKGROUP PC, no domain.  I used the Web Administrators Guide as suggested by other KB articles on here and setup an Impersonation User "APFW" (although I don't know why an existing Windows Administrator user couldn't be used - perhaps someone could mention to me why a separate user should be used).

On the ACT for Web PC:

In the "Windows User Account" section of the Web Site Administrator screen, I entered the Impersonation user & password as well as the local Windows PC name in place of a Windows Domain.  All the test buttons report the tests ran properly, and the web client DOES works from that PC.  http://pcname/apfw brings up the database specified on the ACT for Web PC.  Great.

So now I'm looking for the instructions I need to get that web page to open properly from the other PCs on the local network (currently it doesn't open), as well as instructions on what I need to do in terms of router changes or whatever to get the page available through the internet.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Copper Contributor
DSRoberts
Message 2 of 10 (1,418 Views)

Re: ACT Premium 2011 for Web on Home Windows Workgroup

This could be a firewall issue, try unblocking port 80
Platinum Super Contributor
gmartin
Message 3 of 10 (1,404 Views)

Definitely can be a port blocked.  Have you tried using the IP address of the host machine: ex - 'http://hostcomputerIP/apfw'. 

One reason we recommend a usename specifically for Act! (APFW) is that the password needs to be set to 'Never Expire'.  If you use an existing admin username and someone changes the password (or it expires), you will break your access to the database until you go back through the Web Administration Tools and update it.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor
vacogroup
Message 4 of 10 (1,394 Views)

http://192.168.1.131/apfw is the site on the ACT host machine.  That address is also NOT coming up from the other PCs on the LAN.  So is it for fact that port 80 is what needs to be opened up?  To do that am I changing a setting on my router, or on the host PC?

Thanks for the description of the inpersonation user.  With that description I don't think I actually need one on my home lan.  I can use my own user ID that is already an Administrator, and has a strong password that does not expire or require password changes.  That was helpful.

Looking forward to getting the Web browser thing working with your assistance.

Copper Contributor
DSRoberts
Message 5 of 10 (1,376 Views)

Your would need to change the firewall setting for your network connection on the pc that is hosting act.

Copper Contributor
vacogroup
Message 6 of 10 (1,363 Views)

The machine that is hosting ACT is a Windows XP SP3 PC.  It is only running Windows Firewall, so I'm guessing you are saying I need to make a change to Windows Firewall itself.  What is it I have to do... an an exception for the ACT executable?  As a test, later tonight I'll try disabling the Windows Firewall and see if that allows the web page to be broadcast across my LAN.

As for the external access over the internet, my router already has port 80 forwarding to another PC on my network, a Windows Home Server box that has remote access turned on.  The WHS box remote features must have required those router changes and I had forgotten about them, but either way, with port 80 (among others) pointing to the IP address of the WHS, will this cause issues with getting remote access to the PC hosting ACT?  The ACT host and the WHS box obviously have different IP addresses, so I'm guessing each port can only be forwarded to one particular internal IP.  As well, once the ports are setup properly, I still don't know what URL I would using from an outside PC over the internet to access the internal ACT database.  I know this is vaguely discussed in the Web Administrators Guide but it is not clear to me, nor is it explained how to set it up.  Please keep the suggestions coming and I'll work on this tonight.

Copper Contributor
DSRoberts
Message 7 of 10 (1,351 Views)

You already have a server that can be acessed over the net (via router port forwarding etc.) and act is located on another pc on the same internal network as the server pc?

Once you sort the XP firewall out you should be able to access act from inside your network but not over the net - see the later part titled Adding the port exception of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357

If you want to acess act from outside (over internet from another location), I suspect that you may need a second public IP address for internet connection and have that forwarded to you act pc, via your router.

I may be wrong about the second IP for your internet connection, as that is not my field.
Copper Contributor
vacogroup
Message 8 of 10 (1,335 Views)

I'm at home now doing some troubleshooting.

I've discovered that the lack of access to the ACT website from the additional PCs on the LAN is 100% due to the Windows Firewall on the ACT host PC.  If I disable the Windows XP Firewall completely I am able to open the ACT web interface from another PC on the LAN.  Turning it back on prevents the access, so it's strictly due to Firewall settings.  Apparently enabling the web features in ACT for Web is not enough to properly configure the Windows Firewall, so I'm looking for the proper changes to Windows Firewall that I'll need.  No Router/port changes has been made so far, but I realize those will be needed once I move on to setup web access to ACT from outside my LAN.

To answer your question, yes, I have a Windows Home Server box that is accessible from outside my lan.  Microsoft automatically sets up the settings needed to do this when you turn the Remote Access feature on in Windows Home Server.

Copper Contributor
vacogroup
Message 9 of 10 (1,334 Views)

I'm continuing to troubleshoot and sorted out my Windows Firewall issue on the ACT host machine.  I manually added a TCP port 80 Windows Firewall exception and now I can see the hosted ACT website on another PC on my LAN.  Great.

So now what I'm looking for assistance with is how to get that page viewable from outside my home LAN over the internet.  I guess I'm basically asking how to setup a web server, now that I've got the internal server working properly.  Thanks.

Copper Contributor
DSRoberts
Message 10 of 10 (1,310 Views)

Now as far as I am aware, there are a few ways that this could be done, I may be wrong as this is not my field.

But what we have here is approximately the same as what you want, we have two servers being accessed from outside via one internet connection. eg http://server1.example.com & http://server2.example.com.

To get what we have setup to work, we had to get another IP address from our ISP and have the DNS settings of our website domain edited so http://server2.example.com points to the second IP address - then have our router direct traffic from this IP to the second server. 

As I said this is abit over my head now and there may be a simpler way to get this to work, with out messing about woth DNS records etc.! Maybe someone else on here might have a suggestion!