Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Avid Listener
emsbigfoot1
Message 1 of 32 (1,536 Views)

ACT 2012 Premium Problems

I have installed the latest hotfix (HF2) and I am still having problems with syncronizing. It gets to the end of the second bar and sits there for a very long time. Most times it just times out and throws an error.  HELP

David C. Noe

Please use plain text.
Copper Elite Contributor
Hammatime
Message 2 of 32 (1,508 Views)

Re: ACT 2012 Premium Problems

Did you recreate the remote databases?

We have found that to be a necessary step.

Mark Hammer
Certified ACT! Consultant, Trainer, Developer & Hosting Provider
www.designr1.com
(877) 755-9029

Follow us on:

Want to know more about Hosting ACT! in the Cloud? Click Here!

STOP! Hammer Time!
Please use plain text.
Tuned Listener
Spiritparticles
Message 3 of 32 (1,508 Views)

Have you tried updating your SQL with windows update?
Please use plain text.
Avid Listener
emsbigfoot1
Message 4 of 32 (1,480 Views)

I have created all new sync sets

Please use plain text.
Avid Listener
emsbigfoot1
Message 5 of 32 (1,479 Views)

SQL is up to date

Please use plain text.
Avid Listener
emsbigfoot1
Message 6 of 32 (1,461 Views)

I thought it was up to date, but it seems that Windows update doesn't always install SQL 2008 SP1 so I had to do it manually.

Please use plain text.
Avid Listener
emsbigfoot1
Message 7 of 32 (1,458 Views)

Re: ACT 2012 Premium Sync Problems

Okay gang, I found the magic bullet for my problem. Here are the steps I used. Hopefully, they will help somebody else.

1. Download Service Pack 1 for Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26727

(Credit to Stephen King ofAlso Devices Pty Ltd for pointing me towards this solution)

2. Install Service Pack 1 for Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2  on your host machine. Restart host machine after completion.

3. Install Service Pack 1 for Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2  on all of your remote machines. Restart each remote machine after completion.

4. Run ACTDIAG on the host machine, click on "Databases" and then "Database Lists". Identify your database in the list and confirm the version reads "14.510.2".  If it ends in "0", your database has not been properly updated to HF2.

If it ends in "2", right-clik on your database and select "Database Rebuild". Within this section you will find "rebuild sync object". I would suggest you run all the rebuilds except the accounting links one, which likely is not relevant.  Once that is complete, return to the database list section, and again right-click on your database and select "repair database" and then "reindex" database.

5. Repeat step 4 on all remote machines

(Credit to Ken Quigley of Keystroke Quality Computing Inc for these steps)

I want to also offer big thanks to Steve Carpenter of DataSysUK for all of his ideas and his generous efforts to help! I hope that the ACT! tech support staff reads this and realizes that we seem to be doing their jobs. This has taken me since the 21st of last month to solve with an ungodly number of work and personal hours invested in calls to Gold Tech Support and working on solutions of both mine and other members of the Linked In ACT Fanatics group.

DCN

Please use plain text.
Copper Contributor
rdunlop
Message 8 of 32 (1,379 Views)

I have completed these steps but it doid not solve the problem for me. We have a Windows Server 2003 and 4 remote databases running on Win 7 and Win XP. All have SQL 2008 R2 installed and up to date.

We have had nothing but trouble with syncronization since upgrading to 2012. I would not recommend this upgrade to anyone else!!!

...rd

Please use plain text.
Tuned Listener
Spiritparticles
Message 9 of 32 (1,377 Views)

I found, after installing the SQL 2088 R2 I had to remove some of the older SQL programs from at least one of my machine with a remote database - the machine that was giving me the most trouble. It worked after that.
Please use plain text.
Copper Contributor
rdunlop
Message 10 of 32 (1,375 Views)

Thanks for the tip.

I did a clean install of ACT 2012 (including SQL 2008 Express) on a clean Windows Server 2003 operating system. There are no old SQL installations to uninstall.

I have 3 databases, each having 4 remote users on Win 7 and Win XP Pro machines - all have sync issues since upgrading to ACT 2012.

I recreated the remote DBs - no luck

I deleted all RDBs and created new ones - distributedto the users and the first sync went smoothly. After that the issue came up again. Each time a remote user syncs it hangs at the sending and receiving files. The file count is in the hundreds of thousands (a mil on one machine). It will complete if the machine is left for about 4 hours! That's a new machine running Win 7 Premium... The actual file size seems quite low (4-5 MB).

This is very strange....

Please use plain text.