Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Tuned Listener
tomb
Message 1 of 4 (1,918 Views)

ACT 11-Location of email DB files and back ups

We are running ACT 2009 Premium on a simple peer to peer network.  Our ACT database files are located on a server (XP PRO), and we are using the ACT internet mail client (Outlook is not an option for us).  I have been told that each user's email files are kept resident on their PC rather than on the server with the ACT database.  I have also been told that these email files can be readily backed up by copying them with any copy utility.

Is this information correct?  If so, where does ACT store the email database and what are the names of the files that need to be backed up to preserve a user's email correspondence history?

Thanks for your ehlp, and have a great day!

Tom  

Please use plain text.
Platinum Elite Contributor
GLComputing
Message 2 of 4 (1,904 Views)
Please use plain text.
Tuned Listener
tomb
Message 3 of 4 (1,902 Views)

Re: ACT 11-Location of email DB files and back ups

Thanks for fast response Mike - I appreciate it!  I had found that artical, and that method can work for making backups. However, we have a number of computers, with several users having 8 or more years of email data.  Having someone perform the Transfer E-mail routine on each computer on a nightly basis is a lot of work, and having the users do it themselves presents a host of other issues.

What we need to do is automate the email backup process.  ACT scheduler doesn't appear to provide for this.  We might be able to utilize 3rd party backup software, but to do so we need to know what files need to be copied.  Would you have any idea what the appropriate file names might be?

Thanks again for your help, and have a great day!

Tom 

Please use plain text.
Platinum Elite Contributor
GLComputing
Message 4 of 4 (1,898 Views)

Re: ACT 11-Location of email DB files and back ups

Not sure if it changes based on operating system or other issues (I only use Outlook).

On mine (Vista), it's C:\Users\Public\Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows\Email\11

You need the MDF and LDF. So look for thos in a folder something like that.

Remember, you'll need to stop the SQL service (NET STOP MSSQL$ACT7) before the backup and restart it (NET START MSSQL$ACT7) after.

You're right that adding this to the scheduler would be a good idea. You might post a request for this feature to be considered for a future version here - http://www.act.com/community/feature

Input from this web page goes directly into a database that management has direct access to read, and which they also track and gather statistics on.

Please use plain text.