Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Tuned Listener
Kurt
Message 1 of 8 (412 Views)

A little stumped on setting up Internet Sync

Greetings,

A couple of questions regarding Internet Sync.

1)  Can I use Sage ACT Premium 2012, or do I need Sage ACT Premium Web version?

2)  Does just the server pc require it, or all computers?

2)  I set up IIS for Windows 7 64bit Home Premium.  It says it installs.  Do I need to go to atleast Professional, or how can I confirm that it is indeed installed?

3)  I am unable to find the following programs to set up my firewall:

SQLSERVR - Not in the \Microsfto SQL Server

SQlBrowser no 90 folder

PsiService:  No Protexis folder

Am I missing anything?  Trying to do this on a small scale because web hosting is out of the question right now, due to all of the custom fields that are in my database.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kurt

Platinum Elite Contributor
GLComputing
Message 2 of 8 (409 Views)

Re: A little stumped on setting up Internet Sync

1. You need Premium if you want it to run as a service. Pro can use Application sync across the internet, but needs to be logged it to allow sync
2. All computers that need to access the database
2. Only Premium connects to IIS
3. Have you installed ACT!

Custom fields have no effect on web hosting
Tuned Listener
Kurt
Message 3 of 8 (407 Views)

1)  I bought Sage Premium 2012.  For further clarification - Do I need the web version or the normal version to connect to my database on just the server, or all of the pcs (i.e., I have 3 computers that need to connect to the database.  Do I need all 3 computers running the Premium 2012 for web version, or just the server?)

Sage Act Premium 2012 is currently installed, and I was unable to find the aforementioned files to set up in the firewall. 

When I called around to get webhosting, they told me that there would be an additional charge to configure my database if I wanted to add a lot of custom fields. 

Thanks,

Kurt

GLComputing
Message 4 of 8 (400 Views)

If you want to sync, you need it on all the PCs and not need the web version at all
If you want to access via a web browser, you only need it on the server
Or, you can put the web version on the server and the normal one on the other PCs and allow both types of connection

As to hosting ... if you already have the database, and have configured it, it;'s just a matter of backing it up, sending the backup to them to restore on the web server
Tuned Listener
Kurt
Message 5 of 8 (397 Views)

I'm still a little bit stumped, but let me rephrase the question:

I have two PCs at my location that need to sync and I also have two that need to sync via internet (two different locations).  So a total of four computers need to sync to a single database. 

I've looked through probably 15 different KBs from the Sage knowledge base on how to set this up.  I am unable to sync them either via LAN or Internet.

Is there a general 'walk-through' (for lack of a better term) to get this set up in my own location?

Thanks

GLComputing
Message 6 of 8 (393 Views)

For the PCs at your location, if they are all on the same LAN, you should share the database, not sync

The others two can be done through sync... if then need a local copy

You might find it very useful to get an ACT! Consultant to help you with the setup ... it will save you a lot of aggravation to get it done right from the outset

There's a list of consultants at: www.act.com/acc
Tuned Listener
Kurt
Message 7 of 8 (391 Views)

I've been given inaccurate information by a couple of those consultants just trying to get a sale at the link you gave me.  I would have preferred a few KB to look through as a bit of help.

Thanks anyway

Copper Elite Contributor
kurt2112au
Message 8 of 8 (375 Views)

Kurt,

Here is one link that should answer your questions

The link below discuss the difference between sharing and synching a database, it also provides links on how to share a database over the network as well as setting up the different synch scenarios

Differences Between Sharing a Database and Synchronization Using Remote Databases

Hope this helps with your questions

Regards,

Kurt Rosemann
ACT! Technical Support Manager
Suite 1 Level 4, 94 Elizabeth st, Melbourne VIC 3000
D 1300 724 327 (AU) 0800 775 617 (NZ)

ACTCRM Pty Ltd ABN 86 151 096 347