Tuned Listener
ppuri
Message 1 of 11 (1,677 Views)

how do i attach documents under doucments tab

I have created web service to add documents to document tab. Implemented Web Service is working properly as part of VS 2008 development environment. But publishing Web Service on IIS and and attaching Document to newly created Contact cause problems . and it gives a error message "unable to insert history".

Thanks for you help

Please use plain text.
Copper Contributor
jkeesey
Message 2 of 11 (1,668 Views)

Re: how do i attach documents under doucments tab

Check your security permissions between your IIS user and the folder where the attachment is going.

C. Joseph Keesey III, MCAD ACC
ACT! Certified Consultant®
Microsoft Certified Application Developer®

SystemsNet
Please use plain text.
Tuned Listener
ppuri
Message 3 of 11 (1,660 Views)

the iis user has got full permission over the folder. iam wondering why it is working well within vs2008 and when the web services deployed to iis comes with an error "unable to insert history" for adding documents to document tab. your help is much appreciated
Please use plain text.
Tuned Listener
kr123456
Message 4 of 11 (1,259 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Sorry to up this old topic, but today I have the same problem and I can't find any solution...

I need to programmatically add a document (or at least history with pdf attachment), but I always get this error message : "Unable to insert history"...

It works within the IDE Visual Studio 2008 but once deployed as a dll and used, the methods always throw this message.

Can anyone help ??

Thanks a lot.

Please use plain text.
mwood
Message 5 of 11 (1,258 Views)

Is this a framework application or a plugin?

With a fwk app you could potentially login as any user to do the attaching, if it is a plugin however the security permissions will be inherited from the logged in user.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Please use plain text.
Tuned Listener
kr123456
Message 6 of 11 (1,245 Views)

Hi, thanks for your answer.

In fact this is a framework application in PHP, which use Act Framework via the COM Interoperability. There's another topic of mine where it's better and fully explained.

When I work in my "dummy test" C# project in Visual 2008 to test framework methods, I manage to insert histories and note. After that, I just put these right methods into a dll that I use with COM Interoperability in my PHP source.

At this time, when I call the method which should insert a history, I obtain this error message (unable to insert a history).

I heard above that this could come from the IIS that doesn't have the right permission to access the folder... Where and how I can verify the permissions of my IIS (I use Apache 2.2) ?

Please use plain text.
mwood
Message 7 of 11 (1,236 Views)

It may not be IIS permissions. I assume somewhere in your application your calling the LogOn method of ActFramework. Whom are you loggin in as? The current Act user or are you using an administrative account?

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Please use plain text.
Tuned Listener
kr123456
Message 8 of 11 (1,206 Views)

My LogOn method is the same everywhere, and I definitely log on as an administrator, not simple user. I verified in the accounts menu of ACT.

Under this administrative account, I'm able to create a history inside ACT, and also programatically in a test project developped in C# (under VS C# Express). Although, I still can't manage to programatically create a history from my PHP application.

I'm using PHP 5.3.2 and Apache 2.2, but the error message comes from ACT it self when I call the CreateHistory method via the COM Interoperability : "Unable to insert a history".

Please use plain text.
Tuned Listener
kr123456
Message 9 of 11 (1,193 Views)

So, I come back to my first question on the IIS permissions.

How can I verify those permissions ? On which folder should the permission be full ?

Your help would be greatly appreciated, I definitely need to insert those histories...
Please use plain text.
mwood
Message 10 of 11 (1,187 Views)

Histories are attached to the attachments folder in the supplemental file folder of the act database in question. We could check to see if the users attempting to attach documents to this location have permission to it.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Please use plain text.