Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Copper Contributor
lwestatbus
Message 1 of 12 (1,591 Views)
Accepted Solution

Unable to Read SDK Help File

I just downloaded the SDK (v. 10) and am unable to read the help system (labled SDK_12_Beta) in the title bar.  I can see and use the entire navigation pane on the left but attempting to select a specific topic results in the message "Navigation to the Web Page was Canceled". 

Can anyone point me to what I am doing incorrectly?

Please use plain text.
Employee
mwood
Message 2 of 12 (1,589 Views)

Re: Unable to Read SDK Help File

What browser? I open mine with Chrome.

Hadn't seen this so I searched the error and came up with this : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967941/en-us, see if that helps. 

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Please use plain text.
Copper Contributor
lwestatbus
Message 3 of 12 (1,589 Views)

Thanks for the quick reply.  I'm not actually viewing this in a browser.  The file "ACT! 12.0 Code Reference.chm" is identified as a compiled help file and opens in a Windows help file viewer.  It seems to be expecting to get content from the web but I am getting the message I indicated.

The article you sent may have a clue to the problem but I don't know how to test for or implement this issue in the help file context.

Thanks again,

Larry

Please use plain text.
Employee
mwood
Message 4 of 12 (1,583 Views)

Apologies.

I was thinking you were having trouble with the htm documentation not the chm file. I'll include mine here so we can rule out issues with the file itself. Other than that I'd move it to another machine so we can rule out things specific to this box. 

Edit: I was going to include mine, but it was taking a considerable amount of time to attach. I'd just move the file to another box, then we can try to isolate the issue 
Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Please use plain text.
dkirschman
Message 5 of 12 (1,548 Views)

Has anyone resolved this? 

CHM files are blocked (for security reasons) on many machines due to network policy and Windows Security updates.  Does anyone have a PDF copy of this?

Thanks,

Doug

Please use plain text.
Employee
mwood
Message 6 of 12 (1,532 Views)

I did a search for chm to pdf converters. There are a lot of them out there, but I've not tested any of them so I'm reluctant to provide the links, but they are certainly out there.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Please use plain text.
Bronze Contributor
jimdurkin
Message 7 of 12 (1,529 Views)

I remember having this issue a while back so this is guess work.

Right click on the files and go to the properties.

On the GENERAL tab click on the UNBLOCK button.

Web documents may be blocked when copies from the web or from a server onto your local hard drive.

Hope this helps

-- Jim Durkin

Please use plain text.
dkirschman
Message 8 of 12 (1,524 Views)

I don't have an "unblock" button.  When I open it, I get a security warning.  Others have said that I should un-ckeck the "always ask" checkbox.  I don't have that checkbox.

My IT department prides itself in how well they can lock down a machine.  I even added the registry fixes talked about in the relevent MS KB articles.  Can someone PLEASE provide an un-compiled HTML or pdf version of these files?

Please use plain text.
Copper Contributor
lwestatbus
Message 9 of 12 (1,508 Views)

I tried opening the help file on another machine with the same behavior.  The original post was on a Vista machine while my most recent attempt was an XP machine.

I can't help but wonder if the help file is using hard coded directory entries for its content which don't match the location I am using (a USB exprenal hard drive) rather than actually reaching out across the Internet for its content.

I don't seem to be alone with this issue.

Please use plain text.
Employee
mwood
Message 10 of 12 (1,499 Views)

You said you were on Vista... so not sure if this applies...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902225 

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Please use plain text.