Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Copper Contributor
RealNobody
Message 11 of 20 (4,623 Views)

Re: CreateHistoryComplete not firing when Outlook creates the history

I have good news and bad news about the CreateHistoryComplete event for histories created from Outlook.

The good news is that the CreateHistoryComplete event is in fact being fired.

The bad news is that you cannot hook into that event.

Here is why:

The program which is creating the email histories is not ACT!, nor does it use ACT! to create the history. Instead, this program creates it's own seperate instance of the ACT! Framework, and logs in. After logging in, it uses the "normal" functions to create a history, and fire the CreateHistoryComplete event.

Unfortunately, since this is a separate program using an independent Framework, its events are not available to your add-in (which will not even be in memory if ACT! isn't running.)

There may be a small bit of hope still though:

As I understand it, the goal of this add-in is to ensure that when histories are created, that they are private.

If this is true, you might try to see if you can achieve this same end through a different mechanism.

Under Tools | Preferences <Email tab> there are options to by default set histories to private.

You could have your Add-in set these preferences values after logging into a database. (You'll have to look for the two values HistoryPrivateOption and HistoryReceivePrivateOption to find the full path for the preference...)

Unfortunately, this will not be enough. These particular preferences are also stored in the Registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Act\OutlookHistoryService\Desktop

HistoryPrivateOption - DWORD - 0 or 1

HistoryReceivePrivateOption - DWORD - 0 or 1

These values should be sufficient for most users in that the history will be private unless the user specifically sets it to be public.

The only other "hole" this would leave is custom rules. There is no way that I know of to change the rule to create private histories other than to manually edit it on the machine. You just need to be sure that when people create custom rules to create histories that they set the rule to create the history as private.

A final option for marking histories as private would be to have the add-in check histories owned by a user at log-in time, and mark them as private if they are not already private.

There is an obvious issue with this of course in that it could be a performance issue at log-in time. You would have to balance this with your need for the private tag on histories.

Please use plain text.
Platinum Elite Contributor
GLComputing
Message 12 of 20 (4,615 Views)

Thanks Real... but that wouldn't work for my project.

It's only the User Contacts (My Records) History and other entities that we need to change ... I guess the best option is to use ACTReader and note the new items in the SQL, then change them with the framework.

Please use plain text.
GLComputing
Message 13 of 20 (4,598 Views)

[ Edited ]

I'm hoping someone here can let me know how to achieve this.

As it's not possible to read an even when there is a new email history, it seems the best solution is to have an external application watching the SQL directly for this history change.

I wondered if I could read the SQL with the ActReader, detect the changes and then have a Plugin with the framework changespecific historyitmes based on their business rule.

Is there a way of having a database level password that I can use to read this information?

Message Edited by AJones on 11-11-2008 07:59 AM
Please use plain text.
GLComputing
Message 14 of 20 (4,596 Views)

Does the SA pass utility work differently?

It needs to have a SQL user/pass that is database specific (only reads to READ the histiry) that I can access via code from any PC.

Please use plain text.
GLComputing
Message 15 of 20 (4,344 Views)

Please use plain text.
Copper Contributor
Geoff
Message 16 of 20 (4,341 Views)

Mike,

HNY!  Hope all is well with you and yours down under.

Yes, please.  That client continues to ocassionally raise this issue - it would be great to clear it from the books for a clean start in 2009.

TIA,

Geoff

Geoff Blood ("The ACT! Customizer" )
The New Hampton Group

ACT Development Partner
Serving the ACC community since 1994
Please use plain text.
GLComputing
Message 17 of 20 (4,336 Views)
Please use plain text.
bobbrodie
Message 18 of 20 (3,971 Views)

Hello all,

I saw this thread as thought you may be the ones to ask about my particular issue. We would like to add a behavior to ACT! 11 Premium that does the following:

If ID/STATUS = CO-WORKER Then ACCESS = PRIVATE

We would like to make all histories, particularly emails that go to a CO-WORKER be marked private, while others will be public.

Would you have any suggestions?

Thank you,

Bob Brodie

bobb@swalter.com

Please use plain text.
GLComputing
Message 19 of 20 (3,967 Views)

bobbrodie wrote:

Hello all,

I saw this thread as thought you may be the ones to ask about my particular issue. We would like to add a behavior to ACT! 11 Premium that does the following:

If ID/STATUS = CO-WORKER Then ACCESS = PRIVATE

We would like to make all histories, particularly emails that go to a CO-WORKER be marked private, while others will be public.

Would you have any suggestions?

We actually did this... but:

1. Unstead of ID/Status, we just checked if it's a attached to only one (or more) user records - emails sent to other contacts were left.

2. We marked as private all Emails, Histories, notes, Activities, Sales ops in those records (not if linked to a non-user contact)

3. Even if a user opens the item and removes the "Private" flag, we reapply it when it's saved.

Trapping the Outlook emails is tricky as it uses its own framework and can be created when ACT! (and therefore the plugin) isn't loaded.

It's now used on a site without about 70 sync users with no issues.

If this is close to what you are looking for drop me a private message via this site or via http://www.glcomputing.com.au/contact.php

Please use plain text.
Copper Contributor
tonypatti
Message 20 of 20 (3,919 Views)

Hi Mike,

I sent you an email yesterday to follow-up on this.

We need to do what you have already learned how to do -- marking as private all Emails, Histories, notes, Activities, Sales ops in those records [for a small subset of contacts in the ACT 11 database]

Please email me at tony (at) swalter.com if you don't have the email I sent you yesterday.

Maybe you can help us implement that solution?

Thanks,

Tony Patti

Please use plain text.