Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Configurable Button Control

Nickel Elite Contributor

Configurable Button Control

Here's a custom control which is a button control which can be configured to either open a file or program (enter the path to the item in the btnaction property) or send a set of short cut key commands to ACT!.

This control came fro a customer request for a button to launch a specific report - the ACT! API doesn't have the context to launch and run a specific report, so a work around is to set a shortcut key for a report then use this control to sent that shortcut key combination to launch the report.  

I'll post the source of this control later, but what's interesting is that since the control has no context of the user record it is on this control should work fine on any layout view.

This component was built with ACT! 2010 resources so should work on ACT! 2010 or ACT! 2011.

As always, comments or suggestions welcome.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Configurable Button Control

Here's an updated version of the configurable button control which has a filename property which uses the file open browse dialog to select the file/folder you want run on button click.

Note - there are 2 .dlls here both need to be extracted to the Tools directory in ACT!.

Copper Contributor

Alan,

Can you give me an idea of how I would make the button launch a new History which is Crtl H on the keyboard short cuts?

David C. Ayers
Ayers Technology Corp.
dayers@ayerstechnology.com
512-251-7313 office
www.ayerstechnology.com
Nickel Elite Contributor

Set the shortcut to ^H and make the usesendkeys = True

FYI - some of the Sendkeys shortcut characters

Key

Special Character

SHIFT

+

CTRL

^

ALT

%

Nickel Elite Contributor

By the way - I think that's a brilliant idea - add a button labeled Create Note and place it on each detail view.  ACT! will automatically detect the current entity/record and add that as the associated with in the dialog.

Thanks for the idea - I'm adding this button to my system right now.

Copper Contributor

I found out 2 things in playing with this so far: ^H doesn't work but ^h does and if you want to use it to launch an external program (QuoteWerks in this case) you have to change Usesendkeys to False. Sound right?

David C. Ayers
Ayers Technology Corp.
dayers@ayerstechnology.com
512-251-7313 office
www.ayerstechnology.com
Nickel Elite Contributor

Ahh good catch - yes if you are sending keys you always have to send the lowercase version of any alpha keys.

You are correct - in order to launch any file/exe the usesendkeys has to be false. 

[ Edited ]

Allen

Is it possible to issue a Command Line Argument from ACT! 2011. (i.e Outlook.exe /c ipm.note) to create a new e-mail from a template?

If so, how is this done?

Best Regards

Johan

Nickel Elite Contributor

If you path directly to the template (the .adt file) ACT! will have the template open in the default template editor (usually Word) and you could merge/send the emial from there, but I don't know of a command line switch that will auto merge for a specific template.  The merge API takes a range of parameters - including contact (or contact list), record to history, etc... so I suspect this would be difficult to expose as a command line accessible item.  

Many thanks Allen, very much appreciated.

Johan